HowTo? Dismantle Canon iP printer to replace WastePad?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
After having taken apart two broken printers without concern for putting them back together, I learned how to take them apart for the purpose of replacing the waste ink pads and putting them back together.

I actually cleaned the pads from a well-saturated MP760 but it is a mess, you really can't get the pads clean and some of them do not return to their original thickness so I recommend buying new pads from Canon and replacing them. A local authorized Canon repair center quoted less than $7 for a set of these pads. They call them ink absorbers.
I came across your truly excellent tutorial on dismantling a multipurpose all-in-one to replace the waste-pads. Looks like a very challenging job.

My impression is that an all-in-one would be quite a bit more difficult than a single purpose PIXMA printer. Have you (or someone else) done a similar dismantling of a plain printer, like an iP4500 or Pro 9000-2?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I'm not aware of such a thread. I actually started once to take apart one of my iP4000's and couldn't figure out how to even get the cover off.