How to transport a MG5250 printer

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I must make a travel by train long 6-7 hours and I must change 3 trains.

I can't do efforts (btw I broke my leg 3 months ago) so the only way is to insert the printer MG5250 inside a luggage with the wheels.

Unfortunately the only way is like showed in the picture below.

mg5250usa01ashx.png

Could I have ink leaks in that position? Should a remove the cartridges?

ps: I do not want to ship it via courier. The courier could puts upside down the printer.

Thank you and sorry for the strange request. ;)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The MG5250 and the MG5220 printers are essentially the same printer. The MG5250 is for the European market, and the MG5220 is for the North American market. In this link post you find a link to download a service manual: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=60849#p60849 .To download the manual see this instruction: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=61324#p61324 .

The service manual has some instructions for transporting the printer on page 62/62. Note that the cartridges and the print head should not be removed from the printer before transportation.

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello Peter,

I asked because the service manual does not provide specific information on how to transport the printer, I was already aware of the instructions at page 62.

That paragraph from my point of view is quite useless.

Thank you anyway.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Here are the instructions from the service manual, for others to comment on:

6. MACHINE TRANSPORTATION

This section describes the procedures for transporting the machine for returning after repair, etc.
1) In the service mode, press the ON button to finish the mode, and confirm that the paper lifting plate of the rear
tray is raised.
2) Keep the print head and ink tanks installed in the carriage.
See Caution 1 below.
3) Turn off the machine to securely lock the carriage in the home position. (When the machine is turned off, the
carriage is automatically locked in place.)
See Caution 2 below.

Cautions:
(1) If the print head is removed from the machine and left alone by itself, ink (the pigmentbased
black ink in particular) is likely to dry. For this reason, keep the print head installed
in the machine even during transportation.
(2) Securely lock the carriage in the home position, to prevent the carriage from moving and
applying stress to the carriage flexible cable, or causing ink leakage, during
transportation. Make sure that the carriage is locked in place at power-off.

- If the print head must be removed from the machine and transported alone, attach the protective cap
(used when the packing was opened) to the print head (to protect the print head face from damage due
to shocks).
I my opinion these instructions make sense. When you receive a new printer, the printer is filled with a lot of tape and plastic foam material, But the print head is still sealed in its shipping bag and is protected by a conservation fluid and an orange protection cap. Also the ink cartridges are still sealed. So I think reversing the unpacking instructions is not a good idea, as you risk the print head drying out.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
From the manual I understand that you just have to turn off the printer (ON/OFF button) and put it in a box. I don't think it's a good idea to take the printhead and/or cartridges out, they will dry. The cartridges will not leak in any position you put them.

printermayhem

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am sure that the printer will leak in this position from the waste tank and spounges - depends how much it has been used. Almost impossible to transport leak free apart from horizontal in a desk flat position.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Isn't all the extra ink (head cleaning + extra spray) deposited in waste sponges? How full should those be to leak?

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Anyway the issue is only during the change of the train because when I'm up I can lie the luggage so the printer will not stay in that position for 6 hours.