How to test 3rd-party ink quality?

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
There are 2 bulk inks available locally, with different prices. How does one "test" if an ink supplier or the ink itself is of good quality? Do I just use it and hope for the best? Do I have to find out the hard way via clogged print heads and busted carts? Is there a safer method?

I used to use one brand before, but availability for Canon bulk inks became spotty so I shifted to the other brand which was more expensive but availability was consistent. However, I've been having print head problems with both brands in the past ---- but I can't tell if the problems were due to the inks, to my printing habits, or to the quality of the printhead itself (integrated PG-40 CL-41 carts)...

Now with my iP3300, I'm wondering if I should still take the risk with these inks (if it was my printing habits or printhead quality at fault)? Or should I buy another brand from eBay (if it was the ink at fault)?

The cheap-ness of the local inks are really a come on, so I'd want to test these inks first if possible.

Any advice?

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I owned a Canon IP4000 and have caught a cold by using two makes of ink at different times. The first was a well known make of cart and the second was a UK refill kit using inks of unknown origin.

Both caused clogged magenta nozzles that I could not completely clear and resulted in buying new printheads. I just put the first down to a bad cart - for whatever reason. In the case of the refill kit, I had already had several refills from the bottle. Inspection of the remaining ink in the bottle showed what appeared tp be slime adhering to the wall on the bottle. From what I have read I think it was some culture growing in the ink.

So my advice would be not to use inks that you are not sure about. If you go through the threads you will see a few brands that people swear buy. Use one of them. I now use Hobbicolors and have had no problems at all, and I can recommend it as being high quality and very close to OEM for colour.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
My 2 cents:

1. Are the inks formulated specifically for a Canon printer, or are they "universal"? You can guess my opinion of inks that are sold for any printer. Specifically, inks formulated for a piezo head (Epson) should never be used in a thermal head (Canon, HP).
2. AFAIK, there is no way to test an ink other than by using it in a printer. Look for freedom from clogs, color match and longevity.
3. Some people claim that you can switch inks without any problems, but I once clogged a head immediately after refilling with a different ink. I would either purge my carts or buy new empties and purge the print head with IPA and then compressed air before switching inks. Better safe than sorry.

I agree with Pebe that it is far safer to buy ink from a known good source, but this may not be possible for you.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
My own recommendation is KMP black pigment and Inktec dyes if you live in Europe and Weink if you live in the United States. Some users have reported that Weink has left the business but they seem functional to me and I bought excellent ink from them some years ago.

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I live in the Philippines, anybody know of an Asian distributor? I'm looking forward to buying Hobbicolors ink since people here swear by them, but international shipping is a killer.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hobbicolors price for a 4 ink refill kit is $16.95 + $11.45 shipping to the Phillipines - just about the cost of three OEM carts.

Is that so bad?

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. This 3300 is my first printer above the "budget/disposable" printers from Canon, and I sure would like to keep it running for as long as I can.

ahmadl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I Think If One Ink Set That Has Low Dry Is Best For Our User. Because
We Hate Bad Clog Of Print Head . And This Meaning Much More Propylene Glycol And Water In Ink Solution. That All Most Company Hate That And They Want We Need Change Ink Set Every Month Or Change Our Printer
Every Day. What U See?