How To Store Used Mx850

rocker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have just purchased a used MX850 that has not been used for the past few months that I want to keep for a spare (in storage). I did a nozzle check which was OK. The cartridges in it are a mixture of Canon OEM and Staples refurbished (it looks like they were originally Canon).

If I seal the cartridges how long can I keep them (to use the next time the MX850 we are using needs refilling) and is there a difference between the OEM and Staples refurbished if they were originally Canon? Or should I just flush them all out and keep them for refilling?

I currently have the printhead soaking in windex and have rinsed the pads in the purge unit. I plan on installing cartridges that I have previously flushed and filled with distilled water into the machine and doing a couple of deep cleaning, hoping that this will clear the tubes under the purge unit of old ink. I used a syringe and covered the pads in the purge unit with windex, but it has been sitting there for 3 or 4 hours (it is not disappearing down the tube under the pads). I am assuming the tubes are blocked with dried ink. Other than letting the windex remain pooled on the pads for a day or two, is there anything else I should be doing to ensure things are ready to be stored? The purge unit on these is quite difficult to access, so I would like to avoid having to disassemble the printer.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The Purge pads should not drain on their own. They should "pool". You have to run a cleaning cycle to drain them.

The carts can dry out eventually unless you seal them VERY well, including the air vent. Staples refurbished? I'd just throw them away (or use them for Staples Rewards)...get some OEM carts that are REALLY known to be OEM.

I would flush the print head with distilled water (as you plan to), then let it dry and store it out of the printer. BUT...be aware that pure water is a very aggressive substance..it want's to be "dirty". A dry air blow to empty the ink passages before drying would be desirable.