How to Store Partial Cartridges

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have two questions about storing partially filled Epson cartridges:

What is best way to plug the ink outlet holes? I've been using small blue plug/clips that came with refillable kits but now have more partial carts than plugs.

Can these be stored upside down (outlet holes up)?

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
What I do is wrap the whole thing tightly with saran wrap that way you can also cover any vent holes so the ink doesn't evaporate out. I've kept some cartridges months like that and they don't dry out.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I don't know if Epson cartridges have the same kind of serpentine path from the vent to the inside of the cartridge as Canon cartridges have but you can read here how it works and what it is for. And see this link about shipping cartridges which also contains some discussion about the air vent.

In my opinion, the air vent hole should not be covered, not because of concern over the ink drying out but because of concern over ink being force out of the outlet hole. When you have two imperfectly sealed holes in an otherwise seal container, the ambient air pressure fluctuations will creat a tug-a-war between the those holes. Air will go in and out at least one of them and if it happens to be the one that has ink on the other side, you will get a leak.

The Canon air vents are designed to work with the daily fluctuations in ambient air pressure. I wouldn't try to improve on the design. Keep them on uncovered and let them do their work. You will not have to store the cartridges upside down if you do this.

But again, this is for Canon cartridges, I don't know about Epson.

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Epson does have serpentine relief channels on top so maybe upside down not a good idea. Although they do arrive from the factory that way.

For now I guess it's saran wrap. Seems like a good idea unitl I find small plastic rod maybe to plug the holes.