How To Reset HP 818 Black cartridge ?

Revolution

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,
Please help!
I refilled HP 818 black cartridge but it still showing empty and black ink light is blinking along with paper indicator.
When I try to print anything test print page come out which is perfectly fine printed.
This is may be 4th refill for this cartridge and in past 3 timed no reset was required.
Any thing could be done ?

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
Hi,
Please help!
I refilled HP 818 black cartridge but it still showing empty and black ink light is blinking along with paper indicator.
When I try to print anything test print page come out which is perfectly fine printed.
This is may be 4th refill for this cartridge and in past 3 timed no reset was required.
you mean it print fine .... whu you not ignore the lights after times it will be disappear.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi,
Please help!

Does this mean the printer produces an alignment page when the cartridge is inserted? Many HP AIOs do this. The alignment page is scanned and the printer is ready for use with the new or refilled cartridge.

Or does it mean that the printer will produce a printer test page but refuses to print any other jobs?

Or does it mean that the printer prints fine, but has turned on some error lights? If so, ignore the lights as suggested by issa2011.

I think the HP818 cartridges are identical or similar to the HP300 cartridges used in Europe or the HP60 cartridges used in the US. I have had a refilled HP300 cartridge rejected by one printer, which refused to print. The cartridge worked in another printer but with a cartridge error light turned on, and an occasional pop-up window telling about counterfeit or refilled cartridges. Just close the pop-up window and ignore the cartridge light, and the printer still prints.

You might need a new or maybe remanufactured cartridge if the printer refuses to print using the refilled cartridge. At least you saved a lot of money by refilling the cartridge four times.

Revolution

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for quick replies!
It mean that the printer producing a printer test page but refuses to print any other jobs ?
And Paper and Black Cartridge Indicator blinking.
Tried without connecting to PC but same.
I'm not using color cartridge which currently empty(don't know how to refill color).

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the printer needs both cartridges installed to print. Both cartridges must be functional or at least not rejected by the printer.

I guess your cartridges might also be similar to the HP 901 cartridges. Here is a video showing how to refill these cartridges, both black and tri-colour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gAHrupVBfg

Revolution

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think the printer needs both cartridges installed to print. Both cartridges must be functional or at least not rejected by the printer.

I guess your cartridges might also be similar to the HP 901 cartridges. Here is a video showing how to refill these cartridges, both black and tri-colour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gAHrupVBfg

I think too.
Though I wanted use black only.
But, I have to refill Color Cartridge now.
Currently have no refill kit for color cartridge.
Only black ink.
I have buy color inks and then gonna try.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Why not just use what you got, the black ink ?

Just fill the colour cartridge with black ink, that way you don’t need to buy new inks.

But that would all depend on whether the black ink you have is dye or pigment..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There is no guarantee that the ink you use is in fact pigment ink but at least it works with no issues and that’s what counts.

Pigment ink is better for text printing and dye ink is far better for photos but you can still use dye ink for your text prints with no problems but you can’t use pigment ink for your photos.

If you have let any of your HP cartridges get to low on ink ( Showing empty) then you cannot use them anymore, the printer will block their use, you need to refill them before they run out of ink entirely (Low)..

Revolution

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If you have let any of your HP cartridges get to low on ink ( Showing empty) then you cannot use them anymore, the printer will block their use, you need to refill them before they run out of ink entirely (Low)..

This may the case. :(