How to remove side panels from Canon Pixma Pro10s

Molly2021

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10S
Can anyone tell me how to remove the side panels from the Canon Pixma Pro10s? I have an issue error 6700, but with help from @The Hat I was able to alleviate the error temporarily. When I plugged in the USB cable the error returned. It appears now that the ink carriage is locked into place. My husband has proposed to open up the side panel and see if he can unlock the ink carriage (we've been looking at other threads - also many moons ago he used to work in cleanrooms fixing hard drives). There is a small marking on either side of the panels, but gently probing with a screwdriver does not work. Any help would be appreciated on how to remove the side panel without breaking or marking the printer. Many thanks!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Can anyone tell me how to remove the side panels from the Canon Pixma Pro10s?
When I first got my Pro 10 I didn’t have all the correct cartridges for it and tried to get it to print, bad mistake, the printer locked up and wouldn’t allow me to access the print head again, no matter what method or approach I took.

So I tried to remove the side covers from the printer, as this was my only way of unlocking the print head from its parking position

But no matter which way I pulled I never managed to gain access, so not to be out done I cut two holes in the right side of the printer, the first one was too small, this allowed me to unlock the print head, not the best way to do it, but never the less it worked and my Pro 10 is now working away happily..

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...-to-get-to-the-printer-head.15312/post-133762

P.S. Unplugging the printer from the power socket usually works but for me it didn’t..

Molly2021

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10S
When I first got my Pro 10 I didn’t have all the correct cartridges for it and tried to get it to print, bad mistake, the printer locked up and wouldn’t allow me to access the print head again, no matter what method or approach I took.

So I tried to remove the side covers from the printer, as this was my only way of unlocking the print head from its parking position

But no matter which way I pulled I never managed to gain access, so not to be out done I cut two holes in the right side of the printer, the first one was too small, this allowed me to unlock the print head, not the best way to do it, but never the less it worked and my Pro 10 is now working away happily..

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...-to-get-to-the-printer-head.15312/post-133762

P.S. Unplugging the printer from the power socket usually works but for me it didn’t..
Thank you so much for getting back @The Hat, I really appreciate it. I found some sort of release on either side of the "front door", but the curved panels (with logo on LHS and buttons on RHS) only budge a tiny bit when I press with a screwdriver. It's a mystery! I am quite willing to cut a hole in the side. I would be very sorry to see this printer go, especially since I spent quite a lot on OctoInk inks and paraphernalia :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
. It's a mystery!
The outer side come off if you slip a screwdriver underneath it, by raising this cover you can get an idea where the plastic clips are located, it’s not easy, so take your time..

Here is a Pic of a similar model to the Pro 10..
The outer side come off if you slip a screwdriver underneath it, by raising this cover you can get an idea where the plastic clips are located, it’s not easy, so take your time..

P.S. maybe @Artur5 has better pics that show the complete cover removal..

potty.JPG click to enlarge..

Molly2021

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10S

P.S. maybe @Artur5 has better pics that show the complete cover removal..

View attachment 14099 click to enlarge..
Thank you so much! I've been looking at various threads for removing the outer bits, it's going to be a bank holiday well spent. I might not get the dremel tool out as yet :)

Molly2021

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10S

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I might not get the dremel tool out as yet :)
The method I used to gain access to unlock the print head can’t be seen after the side panel is put back on, and the printer then looks as good as new again..