How to remove PRO-1 printhead ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Wow, you fallen into a Vipers den on this one, firstly ask why does the head need replacing and secondly why did the owner remove all the cartridges, ? that does not make any sense.

If I were you I’d leave this one alone, because you’ll get no thanks for all your efforts’, it’s going to be very costly to correct his mistakes, the big question is what has he done that he’s not telling you, and now he is expecting you to rectify all of his blundering efforts’.

The procedure for removing the print head is not straight forwards and will require all the cartridges to be put back into the printer before you can even think about head removal, this printer had a live intelligent memory that works even when the unit has no power.

I will PM you the procedure for head removal, because as I’ve said it’s not straight forwards and there are many hurls to overcome...

Printerfixerguy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP M3035xs
Thanks for the PM, I will update once I've succeeded or failed. As I understood, he left the printer idle for some time and then went to go use it and the print was poor. He looked for help but found none, after searching the webs he found the printhead and bought one. He must have gotten in his head at some point that it needed replacing. But again ran into a stumbling block on how to replace it and let it sit for more time. I am not sure why he removed inks,
may have thought they were bad, don't know. Well, I'll see if we can't revive this monster. Thanks again.

Anadrol

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Thanks to Joe (jtoolman) and The Hat I indeed 100% revived my PRO-1.

Your particular problem is that the ink has very likely dried up in the silicon tubes !
As your friend had removed the cartridges...
These tubes run from the cartridges to the printhead.

So now what to do ? Dismantle the printer to clean the tubes ?
That's a hell of a work...

Last edited:

Manolito

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Hi friends, I am also facing a clog problem with my Pro-1. When I run a nozzle check the MK and CO show a thin white horizontal line. When I did an automatic head alignment, also the Magenta showed a thine white horizontal line in some of the squared pattern blocks. The weird thing is that this problem doesn't show up in the Magenta when I do a nozzle check, just when I run the "automatic head alignment". I might need to replace the print head. Would someone share with me the procedure to change the print head?

Thank you all.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK @Manolito, first things first, post up a nozzle check and not a head alignment here, this will give a good indication whether you have a clogged head or an electrical problem, head removal is usually not needed on the Pro 1 unless the head has been damaged...:(

Manolito

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
IMG_20170519_094849.jpg
IMG_20170519_094432.jpg
00002IMG_00002_BURST20170519094530.jpg

I just run a nozzle check and the MK looks almost perfect today, it is probably hard to tell in the photo but I still see a very light and tiny white horizontal line on the MK, but honestly it is very hard to tell even looking very closely.

What I find strange are those patterns on the two vertical black lines on the left side of the MK.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have examined the nozzle check under high magnification and it looks perfectly fine to me, I reckon if you run 5 or 10 test sheets through the printer the nozzles will get a good exercise and cleaning and be ready to print some lovely photos for you, head alignments are not a good indication of clogged nozzles.
Just use your new purchase as normal and regularly, good luck..;)

Manolito

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
:celebrate Thank you so much, I got a good deal on this one and really want to keep this puppy. The other day, when I still had that doubt about the print head I actually printed a sample image :fl and maaaaan, those blacks, I could tell the difference with the Pro-100, at least in that print test, but my lovely Pro-100 is still a great printer!!! Thank you so much for your help!!!

Manolito

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Yes sir, it really feels good :weee