How to remove PRO-1 printhead ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'm slowly going off the Pro 10S due to it's age
The Pro 10’s age gracefully, so age is not going to be a major factor with a second hand machine. O’ yes save for a Pro 300 but it has things hidden that we don’t know about yet, like no chance of a resetter..

The pro 10 = 10
The Pro 300 =0

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Thanks for the response guys, ive been chewing it over & may well decide to save up for the Pro 300...

I'm slowly going off the Pro 10S due to it's age, i think i'd rather spend extra & have the peace of mind a new printer will have warranty.
The PRO-10 is better built (Mike from Precision Colors aka @mikling says overengineered) than the PRO-300, I am not afraid.
I still use the predecessor PRO-9500 dated from 2005.

But Canon marketing works...

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
For one thing, the Pro-200/300 weight aprox. 14 Kg, while the Pro-10/100 are much heftier at 20 Kg.
External dimensions on all these models are similar, so where have gone those missing kg ?.
We can guess that they replaced several metal parts by plastic and other parts simply have been eliminated. To Canon's benefit, costs of manufacture are lower but, at the same time, the printers will be still sturdy enough for the average user. In fact, the models preceding the Pro10/100, like the Pro-9000 weighted also around 14 kg and they weren't flimsy lilies. What ended the lifespan of most Pro-9000/9500 wasn't mechanical weakness but the death of their printheads.

d3drp

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixima Pro-1
I'm glad to see that this thread is still going! I have a Pro-1 that's been idle for about 5 years now, because it was giving me sketchy output of my photo gray (tough to print quality photos without it...).

I previously did SEVERAL cleaning cycles to no avail. I believe my problem might have stemmed from trying to save a few bucks and used non-oem inks.

I'd like to try to revive this beauty, because it's just a pity to see it collect dust. I see that a new print head is finally more reasonable at $210USD (was $350USD when I last looked). But I'd like to try a deep soaking overnight before jumping to buying a new head.

My problem, is that when I follow the instructions for removing the print head, the print head doesn't fully center in the printer so I can't get at the release lever. I know that there's something simple that I'm missing, and would appreciate any and all help that I can get.

I'm very mechanically inclined, and research as thoroughly as I can before diving headlong into a project like this. ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm very mechanically inclined, and research as thoroughly as I can before diving headlong into a project like this
Well you didn’t research this issue that thoroughly, because if you did you would have known that the Pro 1 print head is not a serviceable item, it’s unlike any other Canon print heads, and just can’t be taken out and cleaned.

The first issue to resolve is to clear and clean out all the old ink from the Ciss tubing, before you can tackle the print head problem, you’ll need at least half filled carts to run a system clean, and then another full set of carts to proceed any further.

The problems you have can be resolved, but it’s going to cost you more the price of the print head, so you should think twice before starting down this road, a new printer may be a cheaper and better option.

She is a beautiful printer but a very costly mistress to keep..

d3drp

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixima Pro-1
Well you didn’t research this issue that thoroughly, because if you did you would have known that the Pro 1 print head is not a serviceable item, it’s unlike any other Canon print heads, and just can’t be taken out and cleaned.

I actually thought that I had come to that conclusion several years ago when I was trying to get her going before ;)... BUT, then I came across this from Canon, and thought there might be hope!

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART167770

And, I got it to come half way out, and then stop (I can see the lever they're talking about, but it stops before giving me access...

I saw this thread, and thought perhaps there was an easy trick that would solve that problem (and maybe allow me to soak it to clear the clog, so I didn't have to actually buy the printhead).

TheBongia

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro 1; Epson R3000
Good morning everyone.
Looking for how to fix the feared B200 error I came upon this forum.

My canon pro 1 was printing perfectly with PC inks and modified cartridges. No problems in the prints. I was able to solve the B200 problem by turning it off and on, on a couple of occasions. Now it's fixed, I can't seem to get it to go away.

The printer was upgraded to the latest firmware a few months ago...

I have tried forcing the ink doors to remove the cartridges. Even following these instructions I keep getting the B200 error.

Is there any hope that I can fix the printer? I saw on ebay the new head on 200euro....

What can I do?

Thanks to all
Andrea

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Looking for how to fix the feared B200 error
Hi Andrea and welcome, you have the dreaded B200 bad, it can sometime be cancelled by removing the cartridges and powering on the printer to clear the error but you have tried that already, so there is no other magic bullet.

Worse, when a B200 is present it makes it impossible to remove the print head with the normal set of procedures and then there are no guarantees that if you do replace the print head that the B200 wont remain.

The procedure for head removal with the error present is far more difficult and it requires you to remover the top cover and several other bits to gain access to the print head, it’s a messy job and you’ll lose 40% of the ink you still have left in the cartridges.

Now a cheaper option would be to source a second hand Canon Pro 10 and use that for printing, because acquiring a new Pro 1 print head on EBay is not advisable, it may not be new but a refurbished print head instead. Only purchase from an official Canon agent..

If you still wish to proceed with your indeviour then PM me and I will give you the necessary information you need to safely dissemble the printer and safe head removal..

TheBongia

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro 1; Epson R3000
Thank you for your reply, I am considering what to do....

I have another question for anyone who can answer it. I found a defective Canon pro 1 for sale, with error 5206. Can I buy it to fix the problem of my pro 1 with error B200?

Can I make a working Frankenstein!

Thank you all
Hi Andrea and welcome, you have the dreaded B200 bad, it can sometime be cancelled by removing the cartridges and powering on the printer to clear the error but you have tried that already, so there is no other magic bullet.

Worse, when a B200 is present it makes it impossible to remove the print head with the normal set of procedures and then there are no guarantees that if you do replace the print head that the B200 wont remain.

The procedure for head removal with the error present is far more difficult and it requires you to remover the top cover and several other bits to gain access to the print head, it’s a messy job and you’ll lose 40% of the ink you still have left in the cartridges.

Now a cheaper option would be to source a second hand Canon Pro 10 and use that for printing, because acquiring a new Pro 1 print head on EBay is not advisable, it may not be new but a refurbished print head instead. Only purchase from an official Canon agent..

If you still wish to proceed with your indeviour then PM me and I will give you the necessary information you need to safely dissemble the printer and safe head removal..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Can I make a working Frankenstein!
The information I have on error 5206 is a Diode sensor fatal error, and this relates to the condition of the print head, so a print head would also be needed for this new purchase.. Déjà vu

In my opinion you’d be better off giving this Pro1 a miss, because you already have one door stop now and another will only clutter your place up more, it’s not easy to get rid of these big beasts, so keep your eyes pealed for a Pro 10, even one with a damaged print head…