How to remove PRO-1 printhead ?

getaped

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
Firstly you say the printer was working fine, then suddenly it started having issues from ink stains, but can I ask what changed between these two episodes, because something obviously did, so what did you do, what did you change and were there any on screen messages accompanying this current problem..
Some more current history would help…

No error messages. We use this printer daily and were printing when we noticed those ink blotches everywhere. We did a nozzle check after that. We changed the C and PC cartridges since it seemed to be a blue color ink, and did another nozzle check and still ink everywhere.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
No error messages. We use this printer daily and were printing when we noticed those ink blotches everywhere
You have me at a loss, because normally when there is a pressure leak from the ink system you’ll get an error message, from what I can see it’s the Photo cyan and grey that there is an issue with.

If there are problems with the Ciss tubing that would also give you an error, so it’s something else that’s causing this issue, you could try to see if there are any leakage from both these carts where they sit and seal, remove both carts and check.(It’s self-evident)

The only thing I can recommend to do is a bottom plate and roller clean, because the ink stains are repeating at the same intervals, also check the sponges on the platen area, question:- were you printing borderless by any chance..

P.S. if there are no error messages displayed then this is a user issue and not a printer problem, something must have been changed or been altered to cause this.. ?

RomainPaul

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro-1
Hi, i've got a pixma pro-1 with pbk and yellow completely clogged. I'm cleaning it several times by the driver, wait one/two days between each cleaning, but nothing. All the colors are ok, but nothing with the pbk and yellow. I put the cartridge back, change them, but still nothing. I try the print with only the yellow and black photo, nothing. Can you help me, before trash it ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@RomainPaul, The print head on the Pro 1 is not supposed to be changed by an owner and mostly not at all, but if you’re having issues with some colours not printing correctly then that's another matter, firstly don’t print any further test sheets till you can resolve this issue, other than test nozzle prints.

Can you post here your last nozzle check,. So we can see the extent of your problem and maybe we can resolve this issue before it can cause further damage.

Print head replacement on this machine is not an easy task and can be quite expensive..

RomainPaul

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro-1
Hi, thanks for your reply. I understand, but in France, the only place to repair it is near Paris, no way to send it, because it's too expensive. I tried a lot of cleaning, deep cleaning and system cleaning, but the pbk and yellow are still clogged (photo). I think, may be it's wrong, this is the last chance before throwing away, or for someone for the parts… Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_8910.JPG
    IMG_8910.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 400

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I tried a lot of cleaning, deep cleaning and system cleaning, but the pbk and yellow are still clogged (photo
I wouldn’t recommend sending your printer by courier anywhere because printers don’t travel very well in the back of a van when not kept up-right. (They never are).

From what you have explained already, I reckon there’s no more to be done and the print head is damaged beyond repair, now it’s decision time for you.

I can send you the instructions on how to remove the head, but first you must find a dealer that has a head, secondly you’re going to need another new set of carts to complete the task, so ask yourself is it worth all that expense.

A new Pro 10 would probably be as cheap and better value than to spend all that cash out and you can use any of the Pro 1 inks you have left in the Pro 10..

If you wish to proceed then PM me and I will give you the instructions and all the help you need to complete the task..

RomainPaul

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro-1
Hi, thanks for your precious suggestions. I'm thinking about that during one week. I saw printhead in stock on eparts. But not sure, because i was never very satisfied by this printer. So i'll advise you when i'll throw it away… Thanks for your help.

Samuel Laycock

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
CANON PIXMA PRO 1 & PRO 10S
Hello again all. Can I get the instructions on how to fit a new head, please ? I think I need to clean the contacts ?

Attachments

• img036.jpg
    img036.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 379

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Sorry to speak for @The Hat here, I only repeat to all who still have projects with this printer his suggestion: drop it and either downscale to the PRO-10S or upscale to the PRO-1000 depending on your needs.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I wouldn’t call the Pro10 a downgrade from a Pro-1. The Pro-10/10s are rarely problematic, much friendlier to deal with and less prone to those ’fits’ of revenge so typical of the Pro-1, if the unaware user mistreats a bit the machine.
You have only to browse this forum and count the number of threads where users ask advice or help for their Pro-1 and compare it with the number of threads about ‘sick’ Pro-10s.