How to remove PRO-1 printhead ?

Sergey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
To clear the error 1300 message, just press and hold the Resume button for 2 seconds, also check that the paper roller feed is not stuck and is able to move and are all your cartridges OEM ?
Holding Resume btn does not help. The paper feed roller moves freely. The cartridges' bodies are OEM, but the chips are chinese and the ink is as well.

Sergey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Damn it!!
Mr @The Hat , do you remember I wrote about that plastic lever like thing with a spring? I looked at it again and saw, that in front of it there is a plastic post, like a stalactite. I took a pin and "feeled" it, poked it a little. I sensed that it was crook-shaped on its end. Then I bended the end of the pin in a Z shape, grappled the other end of the spring that was not attached to anything, and then hooked it on that plastic post.
The lever of the plastic thing went down and now remains there, because the spring pulls it now. I beleive it activates some sensor there. May be optical.
IMAG1119.jpg
Anyway, the 1300 error went away!

But I do not understand, how to prime the new print head? The printer does not seem to do anything. Should I do a system clean?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Sergey, I did say I didn’t know anything about that spring, because I checked and there was no mention of any sensor unit in that area, but that’s to be expected.

Congratulation on getting the spring back into position to clear the 1300 error, all you got to do now is run a system clean and a head alignment and you should be good to go...

Sergey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
@Sergey, I did say I didn’t know anything about that spring, because I checked and there was no mention of any sensor unit in that area, but that’s to be expected.

Congratulation on getting the spring back into position to clear the 1300 error, all you got to do now is run a system clean and a head alignment and you should be good to go...
Now I am getting 5c20 error.
Seems like I am not going to print any more with this machine.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Sergey, this is all I can get you on the your latest error.

Flashing LED. 16 times Pump roller sensor error [5C20]

1. Cable connection - (wrong or incomplete connection) - The Purge Unit.

2. Purge unit cable - (between the purge unit and the relay 2 board ass'y) – The Logic board ass’y

3. Relay 2 flexible flat cable (between Relay 2 board ass'y and the Logic board ass'y ) – The Relay 2 Board ass’y.
  4. Re-connect the cables !

If you leave the printer turn off for an hour or two it might stop giving you these erroneous errors, I reckon this printer is playing with you..

None of the above answers makes any Feckin sense... :hit

Wojciech Migda

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1, Epson 4800
Hello,
I have a Pixma Pro 1 as well and I after several months of not printing I got some errors and printign problems but after a few cleaning cycles I got almost everything fine, but R was missing completely, all other colors were 100% ok, only on CO there were 2 rectangles that were quite wet, but color was the same.
Now after around 18 hours I tried a nozzle check again and R was still missing. So I ran another clean procedure and now not only R but als MBK and CO is missing.
The attached images show the nozzle check befor and after cleaning.
Any idea what the problem might be and what to do to solve it?
Thanks in advance.
Wojtek

P.S.: By the way a great forum!!!

all.JPG3_noR_MBK_CO.JPG3_noR.JPG

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The Pro 1 is a very complex printer and what your seen is not always the true story, after a spell of idealness those things are to be expected, and if you miss threat the printer it will only make matters worse because the printer is intelligent.

The first thing you should try is to see if you have ink in the red and MBK cartridges, in fact you should remover each cartridge in turn and vigorously shake each one before re installing them.

Now you say you have run a few cleaning cycles, but which type and how many and with what duration between them, also what’s the state of your cartridges, how full are they, and don’t worry about the CO not showing on your nozzle because CO never clogs, but that cartridge might be empty. (Empty 43 grams)

Please come back with answers to the questions, you need to thread carefully to get it back to 100%, and only turn off the printer by the power button but leave it plugged into the wall, also try to avoid doing something that might cause an error. Remember time and Patience are your two best friends..:old

valery112

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
The Canon Pixma Pro-1 printer, 3 years old, MyInk ink, recently began to print gray bars chaotically throughout the sheet. The question is: is the head dying or something else? The printer does not issue any errors. After sending to print, it ejects the window: the print head restores, wait two minutes. Previously, there were no such warnings.
Тест.jpg

Wojciech Migda

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1, Epson 4800
Mr @The Hat thank You.
I will be very carfull with this printer for I read this whole thread and You mentioned that this is a inteligent printer (whatever this may be).
I have run one cleaning cycle for all 3 units, than two cleaning cycles for unit nr 3 (because only red waas missing), and one deep cleaning for unit 3, after every cycle I ran a nozzle check to see what the results are.
Then I let it sit for around 18 to 20 hours and did a nozzle check and a cleaning cycle (normal) to unit 3. In the meantime I had to replace 2 inks with new ones (R and MBK) - it is terrifying how fast cleaning seems to consume (the no so cheap) ink.
The printer was disconnected from power for probably one hour, because I wanted to get the printing head carriage into the middle in order to put a paper towel underneath it, that is soaked with printer cleaning solution to soften potential cloggs, but since I could not get the carriage to move I plugged the printer into power supply and gave up the idea with the paper towel.
I looked with a flashlight into the printer and all ink "tubes" are filled with ink, I could see no air in them - I had this with my Epson Stylus Pro 4800, which caused sometimes colors to go missing.
As for turning the printer on or of, I only use the power on button, no pulling out the power supply, because I have the feeling that druing startup and shutdown the printer pumps ink "around", and it would be unwise to disrupt this process by unplugging power.

Maybe worth to mention, that before all of this, my wife got (she is the one who prints photos) an error (I don't remember the number) that said to unplug the printer from power supply and hand it over to Canon service, after that I started the cleaning cycles and the error didn't show up again.

I have removed all cartriges to give them a good shaking and reinstalled them and run a nozzle check. The outcome was the same as before, unit 1 and 2 fine in unit 3 MBK, R and CO missing.
I took them out again and weighed them (on a kitchen scale) and an full cartridge is 73 g, while an empty is 36 g (I have not original inks - the one I have are from printklex in Hamburg, Germany), this is what I got:
unit 1: GY = 59 g, PBK = 68 g, LGY = 54 g, DGY = 47 g,
unit 2: PC = 54 g, M = 58 g, Y = 63 g, PM = 51 g,
unit 3: MBK = 71 g, C = 47 g, R = 72 g, CO = 58 g.

So to me it seems that ther is ink in them.

Now my wife printed between the cleaning cycles 3 small photos (10 x 15 cm) and it looks like red is missing, but beside this, they look quite ok to me.

Any suggestions what I might do?

Thanks.

Wojtek

P.S.: I know that the way to success with bringing a printer back to life is patience and Mr. The Hat's advice ;-) .

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I read this whole thread and You mentioned that this is a inteligent printer (whatever this may be).

but since I could not get the carriage to move I plugged the printer into power supply and gave up the idea with the paper towel.
This printer is refusing you permission to go anywhere near the printer head, but then it's not an Epson..

Your cleaning ritual was near pretty perfect and the On/Off button is the best way of powering off, when you pulled the power plug from the wall, on power up again the printer then does a hefty cleaning cycle, just to punish you because it knows how long it was powered off for.

It’s a terrible pity that you never recorded the error message, because that might have saved you a lot of messing around and the wasting of good ink.

Now you have a dilemma, as to what to do next, because the next step will mean wasting half of all the ink in a new set of cartridges, not the ones that are installed currently.

Because the error was not adhered to and your wife continued to use the printer in that state, there is a possibility that the print head may have been damaged, its hard to say, it’s what to do next is the problem.

There are two ways you can go, you could try and maybe fix the problem, that’s going to be costly in two ways, or you could resign yourself to sending the printer into the Canon Service Centre.

I suspect you have no way of entering Service mode on your printer and if you can’t then the second option maybe your best and cheapest option, but still very expensive.

The first option will mean pumping and wasting a minimum of ½ set x 12 cartridges into the waste tank, just to test and see if the print head can be saved or not.

If it can’t then you must use the same amount of ink again after installing a new print head, and here’s the catch, you’ll be filling the waste tank with 250 ml of ink with every try, and when that fills up, then you must send the printer to the Service Centre anyway.

Your going to have to decide which is your best option, and even then, you can’t send the printer back to the Service Centre with non-OEM ink cartridges installed, you’ll be forced to buy a complete new set, ouch x 12...

Sorry for the Bad News, but there is one thing you could try and see if your machine will enter Service Mode and if it can then that would change everything for you..

I can PM you the procedure if you wish, but don’t hold your breath, it’s a very long shot..