How to remove print head canon i960

bill74

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post and its a dumb question. How do you remove the print head from a Canon i960? I lift the release lever but can't pull the print head out. I'm not sure just how it fits in there and I don't want to break anything.

Thanks, Bill

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. After raising the lever (to release the printhead) the head will become loose. Pull it toward yourself and lift it up. It should come out easily. You need to remove all the cartridges first. Good luck.

bill74

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you, hpnetserver. Bill

herky

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanx hpnetserver, I too am new at this printhead business.
Is there a precaution to take when removing the carts. to avoid them spilling ink????
cheers-Herb.

bill74

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi herky/Herb

If your cartridges are leaking when you remove them, maybe you are squeezing them on the side a little bit. Mine have never leaked ink when I remove them except when I forget and squeeze one.

Let me tell you stupid I can be. Im the one who started this thread because I couldnt get the print head out..it just wouldnt budge. Well, that was because, instead of pulling on just the print head, I was pulling on the entire print carriage. When I realized that the print head sat INSIDE the carriage, I found that it comes out very easily. I build my own computers but I can still be a moron at times. Luckily, the good guys on this forum are always willing to help out a dimwit like me. Bill

herky

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanx or the reply Bill, I appreciate the good tips. Thnk U are stupid?. this Machine Tool Engineer could'nt go without help these days either. 'course-being 86 doesn't help.

About the carts. leaking, did U have to put them in baggies, are just stack them vertically side by side in a carton; sort of like they come when new?
Thanx again for Ur help.
cheers-Herb.

bill74

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Herb, Im not sure what your question is. Do you mean empty cartridges? I put mine in a plastic bag and put them in the trash to be picked up. If you mean cartridges that are not empty, why would you be taking them out of the print head? You shouldnt have to remove the cartridges and clean the print head until you have printed many hundreds of photos or documents. If you are refilling a cart, do it quickly and hold a clean Kleenex over the ink outlet port to keep it from dripping or drying up. You can also put scotch tape over the outlet port.

Since Ive been building computers, Ive gone through several HP printers. This Canon i960 is the best printer I have used so far. Im using Computer Friends cartridges and refill ink which makes ink very cheap. Bill

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Bill, Herb, welcome to the forum once again. Regarding removing ink cartridges out of the printer I keep a set of empty cartridges and always plug one in after taking one out. While it may be empty in the reservoir tank the sponge still has enough ink to cover and protect the ink intake beneath from drying. I will have plenty of time to refill the one taken out. Another benefit of this is the printer will see the empty one. Once the other one is refilled and replaced the printer will reset the ink status to full of ink for the cartridge just refilled. This keeps my ink status updated after refilling and I will have accurate ink status at all time.

herky

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanx Bill, but I'm interested in removing the printhead and try to clean it and therefore wondering about removing the carts. first. If so, how to store them(they have ink in them), and then what to U recommend for cleaning the head. Blow it out as Niel says, or cleanex, or ????????
cheers-Herb.

bill74

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hpnetserver, thanks for the good advice, Ill do that from now on. Where do you get your empty cartridges for filling when you need them? Bill