How to refill Canon PGI-9 pigment ink cartridges ?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
To refill Canon's BCI-3/BCI-6/CLI-8/PGI-5 cartridges is known to me, but what about the latest PGI-9 pigment ink based cartridges used in the MX7600 and Pro9500 printer ?

Which type of pigment ink and how to reset the chip (that is: deactivate the ink status level) ? Where to drill the refill hole and what are the possible problems ?

Are there CISS-systems available for these types of cartridges or can you build them yourself ?

Forsurchi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The PGI-9 should have the same method of refilling. Unfortunatly, just like its lower brother the Cli-8, the chip is not resettable by consumers (atleast not yet). Most Canon printer's however, will allow you to continue printing, even after the ink status reads empty. I don't own one of these, so it'll be one of those trial and error kind of things.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Without the clear tanks it is a brave soul who will proceed to refill the opaque tanks. Indeed the risks are large because pigment ink burnt onto nozzle heaters due to inadequate ink is not as easy to clear as dye ink. Checking the ink levels with the clear tanks is easy, with tanks you can't see through........well you be the judge.

With dye ink, the problem is considered serious enough, with pigment, it is seriously larger in scope. How large is it? HP places redundant nozzles on their printheads for this reason. When a nozzle is clogged, it is mapped to a spare one that is available. The potential clogging issue is significant enough that HP pigment printers must not be unplugged and the printer will cycle ink through the nozzles periodically by itself even when off to minimize the potential of clogging. Once a clog develops, the heaters will bake that ink solid that no head cleaning can clear. Thus the spare nozzle is then used.

Perhaps one buying these printers should consider buying cartridges with chips that work as part of the total cost of ownership? Otherwise, they are refilled similarly but checking to see manually if there is ink....oh boy.

Shandanik

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello,

i'm new to this forum. I'm about to buy me a top notch A3+ ink jet photo printer, and am considering the Epson Stylus R1900 and the Canon PRO 9500 Mark II. I'm thinking about going for the Epson given its low price, but especially because of the possibility to use a continuous ink system. The slight bronzing problem you have with this printer printing glossies is something i will gladly take with it... OR it should be that there is already a solution for refilling these PGI-9 pigment ink based cartridges the 9500 is using.

Any news on this???

thx