How to refill Canon CLI-8- and PGI-5-cartridges

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi billcf,

this is already known for months now on this forum. In fact defcon2k was the one who introduced this method and there is even youtube movie available (try to search on: durchstich and nachfll).

I find this one of the best and most easiest refill methods compared to the traditional refill method which suggests you to make the refill hole above the ink chamber: most people don't know that using this method you have to seal the air inlet hole above the sponge when you already have filled the ink chamber for 50 % to prevent oversaturation of the sponge, which oftens lead to massive banding and even drops of inks on the chamber. Dave of Hobbicolors advises to squeeze out 5-10 drops of ink out of the sponge after refilling using the traditional method: this will have the same effect of sealing the the air inlet halfway the tradtional refill process.

The german durchstich method automatically balances the amount of ink/air in the cartridge, so you never have to much ink in the sponge, without oversaturating it.

-I found that the best way is to turn the cartridge upside so the ink outlet is facing upwards and then slowly injecting the ink into the ink compartment, taking care that the surface above the rising ink level is staying horizontally.
-When the compartment is completely full, turn back and let the cartridge sit on a piece of old newspaper for about a minute for the ink to saturate the sponge. The syringe + needle don't have to removed.
-Turn the cartridge again upside and refill again to compensate for the ink which has been absorbed by the sponge. Now remove the needle slowly out of the cartridge. Remove any ink stains carefully near the hole, from which the needle had been removed, with a piece of tissuepaper. No need to seal the hole, just put the cartridge back in the printer. It won't leak and I allready refilled my cartridges several times using this method and I do not experience accelerated ink evaporation compared to the traditional method, as some members on this forum are suggesting. The only thing I would recommend is not to use an electric drill as in the case at druckerchannel.de, since the hole made is to large for my taste. Use a push pin or a thick sharp sewing needle (heated and pierced carefully to make the hole). The canule of the syringe should just fit into this hole. Also very important: the hole should be carefully smoothened by cutting away any pieces of plastic to minimise ink crawling due to adhesvie forces, which might stain the plastic housing of the printhead over time.

Strangely enough this method can be done much longer (accordingly to users at druckerchannel.de up to 20 times and even more) than the traditional method before a sponge rejuvenating flush is necessary to remove possible clogs and precipitations.

billcf

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
"this is already known for months now on this forum. In fact defcon2k was the one who introduced this method and there is even youtube movie available (try to search on: durchstich and nachfll)"

Yes: I and other regular members of this forum are aware of this method of refilling this cartridge. The point of the post was, we have new member and maybe some old, that could use a clear and complete description of this method of refilling. I for one had not seen this link. As I said, some may find it useful.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
The link should be added to FAQ. Can someone do it please?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. But I do not have the link. I saw it quite a long time ago but do not remember where it is now.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi everybody,

maybe it would be interesting to link to my new topic below:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2465

Step by step pictures showing the german Durchstich method made by myself. Maybe this link can be combined with the ones from Defcon2k including his videolink on youtub.com.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
when you insert the needle are you going through the sponge or are you going between the sponge and the plastic, if you are going through the sponge am i correct that you need a sharp needle not a blunt tip needle

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi mrelmo: you have to go as much as possible between the sponge and plastic and you have to use a sharp needle (with the smallest gauge as possible) and long enough (at least 4 cm or longer). Those blunt needles from Hobbicolors are unfit for this purpose. At the local pharmacist/chemist you can buy those needles for maby 20 cents or less per piece.