How to get black hair black on color photos on Canon ip 3300

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
for Grandad and hpnetserver:
Here are things I did today: I change the whole set of cartridges using original canon cli-8s,

ok now I get them all in order, they are like this:
first one is the original, 2nd one is my local ink, third is from canon OEM cli-8, I replaced all 4 cartridges, and the forth one is printed from my hp 952 using the hp 78 color cartridge (refilled).
on the second row the first one is the picture printed from the OEM cartridge scanned by a canon 150 scanner, the second one same picture scanned by a HP3180 psc.
the nozzle check are the same printout except scanned by the two scanners.
as you can see there are quite a bit of difference in each ink and scanners. I wonder both you experts can tell me anything wrong with the printer or print head. These are all letter size pictures printed on kirkland photo papers.
except the one printed by the hp952 is 4x6.

oh here is a last one I used G&G competable (all 4 cartridges)

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, hpnetserver,
if you click the first scan, it will go bigger, and if you click it once more, it will go even bigger, and all the broken line will show solid and I think that is a better picture than the 2nd one.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Itsang,

Much of this mirrors what hpnetserver already said.
1. The nozzle checks look normal.
2. The differences between the two scanners are obvious, and show why we can't make any judgements about color based on these scans.
3. In spite of the scanner problem, the hair in the image printed with the OEM ink certainly looks "blacker" than the one printed with your "local" ink. Is this what your eyes tell you?
4. The OEM ink printed image appears to be lighter than your original. What do your eyes tell you? This can be adjusted in the printer driver if it is close.
5. The conclusions about your local ink are obvious - look for an ink specifically formulated for your carts. Since we are told that CLI-8 inks are different from BCI-6 inks, make sure that you check this. Generic inks are usually a problem.
6. Any printer that only uses C/M/Y for photos will not be able to produce dark blacks as well as a printer that also uses a dye based black for photos.
7. If you want accurate colors with a bulk ink, be prepared to buy a custom profile for your printer/ink/paper combination.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Itsang,

I had a Canon IX4000, which I sold to a friend and on which I initially could not get the right colours just like you do (magenta cast, reddish look). The setting is for the UW-8 Hobbicolors ink. Try the following setting:

-Paper setting: Glossy Photo Paper
-quality: high
-colour management: ICM enabled, cyan +10, magenta -18, yellow -15

strangely enough this setting ensures really good composite "black" if you use Hobbicolors ink and makes really beautiful prints. I'm not sure this works for other brands of refill ink, but you can have a try.

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you pharmacist for the settings, I tried to print some pictures today and find that every time I have to print dark color, it will not give me black. After this forum I decided to look for another canon that uses at lease 4 colors including the photo black, that way even my ink is a bit off, it will not show up so apparent, it is indeed very difficult to match the exact color every time.
I used to be an Epson supporter, but after using this ip3300, I get converted to be a canon supporter, besides the easy handling of the refill, the print head does not get dry even not being used for a few days, and the print head can be cleaned if it have sign of getting clogged. Every time when I have to change cartridges on the epson, I worried whether it will print again. With the canon, I can take out the cartridge and put it back without any harm done. I still get two epsons but do not use them very often now. I guess printers are like girlfriends, you will not find out how good or bad they are until you get along with them and get a comparison.
I have the canon ip5000, ip6000 or the ip8000 in mind, any suggestions. Thanks again to everybody that responded to this subject.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The iP5000 is just like the iP4000 except it has smaller nozzles like the newer chipped cartridge Canon printers. I would recommend the iP4000, especially if it is your only printer because it has a pigment black cartridge to be more durable on plain paper. The iP6000D (don't forget the "D") has six cartridges (no pigment black) and is a good photo printer if you don't plan to print on plain paper. I never heard of the iP8000. The next step up is the iP9900 which is a wide (13") format printer with two more cartridges than the iP6000 (red and green). I believe you are smart to get one of these older printers that use the unchipped cartridges.

You might also consider the MP780 and all-in-one that has the same print capability as the iP4000.

You can use this link to learn more about any Canon printer:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndex1Act&fcategoryid=103

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
In addition to my i960 printer I have an ip5000 that works extremely well. Early concerns had to do with the one picoliter nozzles and the fear that they would tend to clog. I've used MIS ink in it. This is my wife's printer and it gets very little use. I've had it for a year and a half and had no problems. ip4000 printers are very scarce in the marketplace and, if you find one, command a very high price. Don't pass up an ip5000 if an ip4000 isn't available.