How to fix the black part of my Epson XP-340 printhead

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
This usually works and has already for CM&Y but not K. I've run a couple ounces at least of isopropyl alcohol through to some paper towel underneath and it's still not printing but showing full ink on a new cartridge. Sounds like the printhead dead no? Or do I just need to keep running it through every now and then

Attachments

• IMG_20221023_212328052.jpg
    IMG_20221023_212328052.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 84

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Alcohol is not a uesful cleaner - you may try flushing the nozzles as shown in plenty Youtube viedos like this one

and please post a nozzle check print to show the latest status. Are you using Epson OEM cartridges or some 3rd party ones ?

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
Alcohol is not a uesful cleaner - you may try flushing the nozzles as shown in plenty Youtube viedos like this one

and please post a nozzle check print to show the latest status. Are you using Epson OEM cartridges or some 3rd party ones ?
3rd party. It's dead now. Second epson to just die after cleaning it out with this method. No power to the printer. I wouldn't waste money on new OEM inks to test on these sketchy printheads.

Unless I'm wrong it seems these printhead separate from cartridge systems, especially the ones built into the printer you can't replace without taking the printer apart are the most troublesome printers. I've never see a guide to clean these by the actual manufacturers, just DIYers. My guess is planned obsolescence

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Printer manufacturers are not obliged to design a printer such that it can handle any arbitrary 3rd party pigment ink, and I don't understand why they should provide service guidelines in such cases; I don't see a case of planned obsolescence here but the use of inadequate inks , it is qluite typical overall that 3rd party inks tend to cause more problems like clogging than OEM inks - you save on ink for a short while but there is a risk that the life span of a printer gets reduced.

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
So you think it's the use of 3rd party inks that kill these units? That if I'd used oem instead this printhead would have sprung to life? Well I suppose that's possible.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Well, it's not that simple - there is not just one 3rd party ink on the market, but several inks from different manufactureres, and you don't know which one you get. another point is care of the printer - long idle times are critical, it is recommended to print something somewhat regularly - even a nozzle check now and then. Reports about black pigment ink problems are discussed quite frequently here. And if flushing does not fix the problem printhead replacement would be the next step.

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
Thanks
Well, it's not that simple - there is not just one 3rd party ink on the market, but several inks from different manufactureres, and you don't know which one you get. another point is care of the printer - long idle times are critical, it is recommended to print something somewhat regularly - even a nozzle check now and then. Reports about black pigment ink problems are discussed quite frequently here. And if flushing does not fix the problem printhead replacement would be the next step.
. In another similar note, one got another XP, an XP-430 interestingly, seems like a step up from the 340. Takes the same ink. This one moves fluid freely through printhead, but zero print. This means it's dead right? And if course only China sells them for $70. Who's buying them?? If that's not "planned obsolescence"...

Hey, do printers, if not most, will automatically periodically keep the printhead(s) moist if you just leave them on? I've got a few Epsons and anf Brothers of this poor design type I've wondered if it's imperative to keep them on, or if I'll also need to print with them on a periodic basis

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
've got a few Epsons and anf Brothers of this poor design type I've wondered if it's imperative to keep them on,
I don't see your point that a device is of a poor design if it does some maintenance action automatically, what's wrong with it - there are conflicting requirements - instant dry on particular papers and no drying at all in the printhead - you are just better off with some regular maintenance action - printing somewhat regularly - it'll cost you less than lots of cleaning actions at a time you urgently want to print.

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
I w
I don't see your point that a device is of a poor design if it does some maintenance action automatically, what's wrong with it - there are conflicting requirements - instant dry on particular papers and no drying at all in the printhead - you are just better off with some regular maintenance action - printing somewhat regularly - it'll cost you less than lots of cleaning actions at a time you urgently want to print.
I was asking a couple question more than making any points

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
If you use a printer in a non-standard mode - like non-standard inks - 3rd party or sublimation inks - you should keep even more an eye on the printer , severe clogs don't happen overnight, so you could catch smaller clogs much earlier and you can clean them away.