How to dry ink printed on back of photo paper

JustCharlie

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 600's, 2200's, ALPS, +
Or you switch over to a printer which meets your requirements - the already mentioned Frontier DL650 printer , the printer does backside printing on media which are suitable for that printer

Just look for the specs

Back printing Two 40-character lines in backside print of information
on
https://www.fujifilm.com/de/en/business/photofinishing/frontier-dry/dl650-pro/specifications
Not sure about the DL650, but Fuji had always used an Epson dot matrix printer inside the
paper feed track.. typical receipt type printer with an ink ribbon cartridge.

brwinters

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
G7020, G620, iP100, Pro-2000
The DL650 has a twin dot matrix backprint unit, yes. Last I looked, it's also minimum $1k used and takes up a lot of space, and very difficult to ship.

JustCharlie

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sorry.. I wasn't suggesting installing one, just that this is the ink that's used and it doesn't smear on the back of the print.

brwinters

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Oh I see. I imagine there might be some special formulation in the ribbon to stop it smearing perhaps, or at least a different one to a generic ImageWriter ribbon anyway. Other possibilities are that the Fuji paper backing is specifically receptive to the wax/ink in a way that other papers are not, or that the heater unit plays a part in the matter.

JustCharlie

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm not really sure.. I haven't seen a Frontier since the first ones came into the US, but those were wet process RA/FA type photo papers and the backprinting held up just fine in the various tank solutions. And the paper moved into the developer after only a few seconds, so the ink had to be dry almost instantly to avoid any sort of contamination. It makes sense that they'd continue using the same unit in a dry process since it has a good, long track record. So we know the ink would work.
But as you mentioned, not very practical to install on an inkjet!

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Just use hair spray before printing, afterwards you can add another coat, this can work or not depending on ink.

brwinters

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just use hair spray before printing, afterwards you can add another coat, this can work or not depending on ink.
I'll give it a shot