How often should I use a Canon inkjet to ensure nozzles don't become clogged?

dublin123

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6450
I'm interested in people's experiences. Weekly, bi-weekly, daily?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Before the pandemic I was able to leave my Canon (pigment) printers alone for more than 4 weeks :rolleyes:.
I always switched them off.
It took some time then when switched on again but nozzle checks were fine.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The forum consensus has been print something that uses all the cartridges once a week. A nozzle check suffices. This recommendation concerns if using third party inks. Also, you may be able to go longer periods of time.

If you use only Canon OEM inks then you may be able to go many weeks or months.

dublin123

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6450
Thanks guys. I am using non-Canon generic inks simply to save money, so sounds like I need to print each week minimum.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The forum also recommends using a quality aftermarket ink. Anything termed "Universal" or ink that is used for printer models of differing cartridge models may not offer the thermal cooling protection against nozzle damage over time. These inks often are worse color matching from OEM inks.

I used Precision Colors inks from Canada and would often go 2-4 weeks without printing. If you notice missing ink in the print then stop printing anything other than nozzle checks until the issue is cleared. If unsure what to do then post on the forum the history how it happened and a nozzle check image (preferably cropped).

Octoink from England is also a trusted third party vendor. There are others that members have used with good effect. Post what country you are from for other recommendation from other members

dublin123

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6450
Thanks Stratman. I'm from Ireland so just across the water from that supplier you mention.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm from Ireland
Ahh, both you and our fearless Moderator The Hat. If he recommends a business then it's probably worth a try. He's been printing since Gutenberg and has tried most everything worth trying and a few that weren't. ;):thumbsup

dublin123

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6450
Ahh, both you and our fearless Moderator The Hat. If he recommends a business then it's probably worth a try. He's been printing since Gutenberg and has tried most everything worth trying and a few that weren't. ;):thumbsup

:)

Yes my mum orders from that 123ink.ie website for her printer cartridges. I have to say though even the prices on there are a bit more than I'm prepared to pay. I reckon I'll continue buying generics (I buy from Colour Direct) and live with the risk of clogging nozzles every so often. I must ensure I print more often though.