How much effort is it worth to save my Canon Pro-10

MadAboutPrinters

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-15000, canon pro-10
I've a 4 year old Canon-Pro-10. I use it at least 1x/ week. (until I discovered PC and could refill my own carts.) then use increased to a few times per week.
I recently received "absorb pad almost full" message. I use a Mac running 12.5.
It's my understanding you need a PC to put printer in service mode to then rest counter. I'm willing to spend $200 on a refurbished PC laptop to use as a "service machine" for my printer.
Full disclosure: I have never put a printer into service mode and attempt a fix- but I like to learn new things :)
Is this a good idea?
Thanks in advance.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Wouldn’t be possible for you to borrow for a while a PC from family/friends ?..
It seems an unnecessary expense to buy it, since it will be useless once you reset the counter. Just saying..

Setting the printer in service and using the software tool to perform the reset isn’t rocket’s science. Just be sure to follow the instructions and use the correct version of that software tool. If you get the wrong one, service mode will be locked and no way to reset the counter ( don’t ask me how I know that.. :rolleyes:)

You’re aware of course that performing a reset without actually changing/cleaning the waste pads, you risk ink leakings in the future ?.. That isn’t likely to happen right after you perform the reset now, but probably it will before the counter reaches full again.

MadAboutPrinters

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-15000, canon pro-10
Wouldn’t be possible for you to borrow for a while a PC from family/friends ?..
It seems an unnecessary expense to buy it, since it will be useless once you reset the counter. Just saying..

Setting the printer in service and using the software tool to perform the reset isn’t rocket’s science. Just be sure to follow the instructions and use the correct version of that software tool. If you get the wrong one, service mode will be locked and no way to reset the counter ( don’t ask me how I know that.. :rolleyes:)

You’re aware of course that performing a reset without actually changing/cleaning the waste pads, you risk ink leakings in the future ?.. That isn’t likely to happen right after you perform the reset now, but probably it will before the counter reaches full again.
Thanks for your response- looking into a borrowing a PC is a good idea. If I don't do this, I was going to offer the printer up for the cost of shipping (including the 20 or so original carts, and PC ink etc I have) to someone who is fine with taking it apart and replacing the waste pad.

MadAboutPrinters

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-15000, canon pro-10
Ok, I'll have access to a PC. I've read conflicting views on resetting the counter in this forum. Has anyone actually reset the counter on an"almost full pad" -Pro-10

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Ok, I'll have access to a PC. I've read conflicting views on resetting the counter in this forum. Has anyone actually reset the counter on an"almost full pad" -Pro-10
I did it when the counter was half full to test the service tool.
As said, you always can guide the purge tubes outside when an overflow should occur.
It is certainly worth to save this printer, most probably the last refillable, and I doubt the PRO-300 is better.

MadAboutPrinters

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-15000, canon pro-10
I did it when the counter was half full to test the service tool.
As said, you always can guide the purge tubes outside when an overflow should occur.
It is certainly worth to save this printer, most probably the last refillable, and I doubt the PRO-300 is better.
I just ordered a printer potty- going into this thing deeply... 😆

ThatsCannon

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ImagePrograf Pro-300
I've a 4 year old Canon-Pro-10. I use it at least 1x/ week. (until I discovered PC and could refill my own carts.) then use increased to a few times per week.
I recently received "absorb pad almost full" message. I use a Mac running 12.5.
It's my understanding you need a PC to put printer in service mode to then rest counter. I'm willing to spend $200 on a refurbished PC laptop to use as a "service machine" for my printer.
Full disclosure: I have never put a printer into service mode and attempt a fix- but I like to learn new things :)
Is this a good idea?
Thanks in advance.
I had the same issue, but with my Pro-300, and found out about Canon service tools that support it. In which your printer is supported as well, with the same version I used. The service tool is CANON SERVICE TOOL v5610, found on eBay, if you do buy it. Make sure you get the original version.

As long as you can get into service mode on your printer, you can get it to work

MadAboutPrinters

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-15000, canon pro-10
After realizing I don't have time to deal with my Pro-10, I've decided to buy a new Epson 15000, not the same, but good enough and easier to deal with. The absorption pad almost full message is the issue.
I'm happy to give the printer away for the cost of shipping. Included:
Carts in machine
at least 20 more empty carts
brand new printer potty
Precision Color: 4oz unopened PM,Pc
unopened 2oz Co, (2) Y, MBK
assorted 2oz in various states of use
chip setter
hollow needles
altered cart top to accept needle
The original printer box and packing materials (yeah I save everything)
The inks etc will need be shipped separately.
Shipping from Delaware to CA through pirate ship is about 100 bucks the ink is around $15
Any takers?
I know there's a "buy /sell section- I can't find it...

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Sad you abandoned such a good printer despite resetting the counter is perfectly possible.
And even if it failed, what could you loose ?

But I understand not everyone has the time for it, or can use this time in a more lucrative way.
I was thinking the same many times, I don't blame you ;)

Last edited:

MadAboutPrinters

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-15000, canon pro-10
It's killing me- but I rely on a printer for my business. It's not good to just let it sit around, or I might jump in at alter date.