How good is Precision colors / IS pigment ink?

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have just got a new ip4500, and i need some dye black ink (even though i have 3/4 filled 4oz bottles of hobbicolors c/m/y). However, i do not think it is economically feasible for me to ship just 1 bottle of ink, and, as a result, i have decided to purchase a full set. I have 2 other printers at home that use the same inkset (ip3500 and ip1800), so it shouldnt be a problem to use all that ink before it expires/goes stale.

I am considering buying this ink from Precision colors (but i need to find out the postage costs to sydney, australia...)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...go=DR&its=S%2BI%2BSS&itu=ISS%2BUCI%2BSI&otn=4
but i dont know how good the quality of the pigment ink is. I have found that the hobbicolors pigment ink isnt as good as i though it would be, so i plan to buy another brand. Also, the hobbicolors UW8 ink is a bit too saturated for my liking, and i cant justify spending on a profiling device.

So, has anyone got any opinions on IS pigment ink?
and/or: 1> where i can get good cli 8 BK ink in australia (that doesnt cost too much)
2> does KMP ship to australia? ive heard that their pigment ink is very good

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have used Hobbicolors and IS pigment ink. IS pigment ink from Precision Colors does not bleed like Hobbicolors, which is one reason for my switch to IS.

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
fish: ah, thats good, thats the reason why i dont want to use hobbicolors ink.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I am using Hobbicolors PMY-BK pigmented ink with plain paper (Xerox Premium Multipurpose, 24 lb, 96 Brightness from Costco) in my Canon MP830 and Sharpie Accent Highlighters, Orange color.

results are like Canon OEM PGI-5 pigment black ink - I have minute or no streaking or bleeding with the highlighter. Text print quality is great.

Are you sure you are not using a combination Pigment + Dye black ink? That would streak.

Maybe it is your choice of Highlighter and/or Paper. If the ink isn't given enough time to dry after printing, it will streak. So will Canon's. Time to dry varies with climate.

I use Precision Colors dye based ink. It is fantastic. Well known to not be as saturated as Hobbicolors CLI-8 based inks. It's personal choice on what looks good to you without a Printer Profile done for that specific ink and paper combo.

Fish -

Can you tell more details on your experiences with the two brands of Pigmented inks, please? (text quality, the "blackness" quality, bronzing effect, fade resistance, use of Highlighters and which kind of Highlighters, etc)

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
stratman,
I used Hobbicolors with all pigment black (not cheaper combo pig/dye). Text would bleed on paper that I have used for a few years without problems. The "fuzzy" edges were unacceptable. I emailed Hobbicolors about the problem - quick response but they basically told me that paper was problem. I used the rest of the ink up with 25% cotton content paper with good results (but with longer drying time) but this was too expensive. I have since switched to IS and regular multi-purpose paper with good results. I don't use highlighters so do not have any comments for either ink. I also used Inktec with good results for pigment and dye based.

Hobbicolors dye based inks were too far off without color correction (magenta -18, yellow -15) or profiling, which I did not get into. I never had any clog or fade problems with any of the pigment inks. I have not noticed any bronzing and blacks were good with all 3 inks. I have had fade problems, but more associated with paper than ink. Print life is acceptable with OEM, Ilford, and Kodak paper, but have had poor results with Kirkland. I am using the rest of the Kirkland paper for proofs. I send out important prints with photo process on Fuji Crystal Archive paper or giclee prints.

BTW, this was with my MP830 (still going strong after refilling for 2 years). With the fairly high volume of printing that I had for last 1-1/2 years I just ordered a MX850 as backup AIO as the sheet feeder is pulling slightly and don't know if there is a fix for old rollers.

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman: I definately use the pigment ink, and not the dye/pigment hybrid. I dont have a problem with highlighters.
fish: wow, you and i have/had roughly the same problems... I had a lot of bleeding, especially when black text and colour graphics were juxtaposed.

Well, it looks like i wont be able to buy the ink just yet -im having a slight problem with my ip4500 (see my other thread http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4129)- but thank you everyone for your input.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Fish:

Thank you for the detailed info. Compared to my laser printer, the text is a bit "fuzzy" but is quite acceptable for personal use. Even 6pt. fonts are readable. For presentations, though, I would use a laser printer.

I will keep an eye out on mixed graphics/text output and look for bleeding. I don't recall anything significant with the Hobbicolors. I do recall better or worse output depending upon the paper used in the past, though. The Xerox Multipurpose paper is relatively inexpensive and works fine for my casual plain paper ptinting needs. I've used better paper, like some inkjet specific Hammermill Ultra Premium from Staples, but the added expense didn't seem justified for my personal use.

Can you post a close-up pic of the problem. I'd like to have a point of reference. Maybe I'm experiencing it as well but have lower standards. I'm not saying or inferring anything negative, just trying to understand and learn as much as I can.

I can't help you with your question about the rollers. I have noticed an the top feeder can pull from time to time, though I thought this was a result of an imprecise placement of the sheet of paper into the feeder. I never cared for the loose fit of the paper when placed in the top feeder and the lurch of the paper as it was feed into the printer by the machine.

I purchased a refurbished MP830 from Buy.com several months ago. Includes a new printhead and set of cartridges. Thought about the MX850 at that time but was significantly more expensive, so went with the refurb. May still get one before they're gone!

*Anyone have an idea how long one can store unopened printheads and cartridges??*

Token:

I thought so since your post included "PMT-BK" but was just making sure.

*Just curious, what specific paper were you guys using that displayed the bleeding? We know that Fish resolved his issue by using a different paper. Did you, Token, try a different paper and get better results?*

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
stratman,

I don't have a sample with the Hobbicolors bleed problem but this was with a pretty good quality paper (24#, 96 brightness). With IS pigment ink from Precision Colors, I now do most of my printing on inexpensive 20# Georgia Pacific multi system paper with very good results - very crisp printing. I still use 25% cotton for presentation and proposals with laser like quality - you would be suprised at the resulting difference.

The ordered MX850 is a refurb from Canon store so I have a spare AIO with this generation of cartridges (I need and use the scanner, copier, and fax functions for my home office). I should be okay for a long while as I have outfitted my son with a 3000 for everyday printing and a 9900 for his CAD drawings. I also have a spare 4200 (refurb) and 6000 (NIB), so hopefully Canons forever. I saw Canon 3600 on sale at Office Depot Honolulu this weekend for $50 but my wife would move me to the dog house if I bought it (if she only understood!!!???).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
When you find a printer you like, better buy another... or two, especially the way Canon is moving towards more cheaply made printers that have downgraded their functionality from their predecessors. Even something as small as non-transparent cartridges I've read about make refilling the new printers a bit more of a pain.

Can one have too many (working) printers?

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
stratman said:
When you find a printer you like, better buy another... or two,
Very wise words. That's exactly why I bought a second iP4500. I keep checking craigslist for yet another. They're out there, just not one at the "right" price yet.