hobbicolors ink fading

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Nikivan, how long have you had the Hobbicolors ink? I have bought two refill kits for my ip8500. The 2nd one was bought in July last year. The bottles have labels of BCI-6x on them. But my first refill kit does have the WC-6x labels. I believe I bought my 1st refill kit in late 2004. I think your refill kit or ink from Hobbicolors must be very old. I wonder how come you found about the fading just now. You sold prints to your clients. Did any of your clients complain about fading?

My refill kit (and ink) is about one year old, which is almost completely used up now. So yours must be older than mine. Did you ever wonder why you had no problem for most of the past year but until recent two weeks or maybe 4? If the print can fade that much in 3 days it seems unusual to take that long for you to discover the issue. Perhaps the ink has completely gone bad?

Just a thought.

nikivan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hpnetserver said:
Nikivan, how long have you had the Hobbicolors ink? I have bought two refill kits for my ip8500. The 2nd one was bought in July last year. The bottles have labels of BCI-6x on them. But my first refill kit does have the WC-6x labels. I believe I bought my 1st refill kit in late 2004. I think your refill kit or ink from Hobbicolors must be very old. I wonder how come you found about the fading just now. You sold prints to your clients. Did any of your clients complain about fading?

My refill kit (and ink) is about one year old, which is almost completely used up now. So yours must be older than mine. Did you ever wonder why you had no problem for most of the past year but until recent two weeks or maybe 4? If the print can fade that much in 3 days it seems unusual to take that long for you to discover the issue. Perhaps the ink has completely gone bad?

Just a thought.
I purchased the ink in October 2005. Most of the images I print I send away and never see again. Ive initially noticed that some of the prints on Canon Glossy Photo Paper show slight magenta cast, but I was contributing this to metamerism effect. These images are mostly in a grey scale. Recently I bought several packs of Fuji photo paper and printed few full color pictures of my kids. I noticed that the skin tines started to look kind of yellow after a while. Because the changes dont occur in one day you may not notice fading right away. I printed the images again using the same profile and compared them. It was obvious I have a problem and I decided to post here. So far none of my clients have complained about this and I keep my fingers crossed. These images where printed on Epson Matte paper. They are framed and that might be helping as well. Until this gets sorted out I will not be using this ink for critical work. It might very well be a bad batch, but I havent received definitive answer from hobbicolors yet. I will keep you posted.