hobbicolors ink fading

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I seem to recall a poll about four months back to the effect would you pay extra for
third party ink that has better archival qualities. Many said no but the hypothesis was that such a third party ink could double in cost to gain that archival quality.

But when you consider that Canon is charging something on the order of $4300/ gallon
for its inks when bought in the form of BCI-6 cartridges--and existing third party manufacters rated very highly can sell their ink at retail for under $100/ gallon, its not rocket science to figure out ink prices alone are not what is driving the prices we pay.

From my point of view as a refiller---I care little if I save $4300-100 or $4300-200 on ink. Worse yet, from an OEM ink manufacters the temptation is huge to hook each small incremental improvement in archival ink quality to a new generation of printers and to also make sure the ink is not backwards compatable with existing printers. Which is another reason I feel the refiller must pin their hopes on a third party manufacters--where the free enterprise laws of build a better mousetrap actually still apply.

Sorta of an earth to third party ink manufacters-----opportunity is knocking.

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I remember as I replied that at double the price is still a bargain - 2 bucks a refill instead of 1, I'm in!

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You also have to remember that the $100/gallon price is retail---its way less wholesale.
But even at the 100vs.200 figure its more like 37 cents and a 75 cents per refill ink price.

But for someone who vends prefilled cartridges cheap--that doubling of ink prices would have maybe a 25 to fifty cents per cartridge price increase.--because they buy ink in huge wholesale lots.

But that would be really cool if something like that ever happened---the consumer being able to buy an ink in every way superior to OEM at a tiny fraction of the cost.
Archival quality is the final frontier.------what then could the OEM maker say?

(Note the edit was correcting my figure--memo to self--don't relie on mental math)

nikivan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
As I promised, here are the scans for the pictures in question. The bottom of both photos where covered (but not air tight) and don't show visible trace of fading. I think such dramatic shift is not acceptable, but I want to hear your comments.

This one was printed two weeks ago on Fuji paper.

hobbicilors1.jpg

This one was printed two-three months ago on Canon paper.

hobbicilors2.jpg

(note, the vertical lines in the left where caused by deffective cartridge, so they are not related to this topic)

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have photos printed with HC ink a year ago. They have not faded yet. But mine are piled up in a stack of paper. Some are in protective plastic envelopes but most are just in the pile of paper. I do have a few laying around the house. Have not noticed any visible fading. I would believe some fading over time, especially if you hang them on the wall. But tweeks? The two photos do not have much colors left. I am having a hard time to image how it could happen. Anyway, you want comments. Here are mine. No, mine have not faded like the two you posted and they have been printed over a year. I wonder how in an office and in two weeks there would be so little dyes remaining.
Many of us here on this forum have used HC ink. I suspect anyone has any faded prints likt that. I sure don't have any.

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
nikivan said:
Am I along in this? I have Canon 9000 I was initially very pleased with the ink from Hobbicolors until I recently found that my pictures are fading with incredible rate. I am suing Canon and Fuji paper and both of them show significant fade only after a week or two. Any comments?
Is it the UW8 ink or the older WC6 ink ?

nikivan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
KnightCrawler said:
Is it the UW8 ink or the older WC6 ink ?
I assume it is WC6, the photo cyan bottle, for example, is labeled WC-6PC.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
All my Hobbicolor ink bottles are labeled BCI-6XX (XX is color - M, Y, C, B, PM, PC). The pigmented BLACK bottle is labeled WC-3eBK. These were from two different orders - one late Jan (ip4000) and the second in mid March (ip6000D) of this year. How long have you had your inks? BTW have you emailed Dave at Hobbicolors about your fading problem. Still have my two prints hanging in a window with full force afternoon sun - no fading noticed yet. Next week or so is supposed to be cloudy and rainy - but we really need the rain.

Steve W.

nikivan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
KnightCrawler said:
The new stuff
OK, are you saying I should throw away the remaining ink and buy this one. I still have enough quantity for tens of refills. And why the "new" ink should be any better?