HobbiColors for my iP8500 make prints look greenier

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hobbicolors is an excellent product. The comments above about color profiles are true. It will take some trial and error to produce the best color rendition. Hobbicolors can be set to produce neutral grays. Never mix brands of inks or cartridges. Do not use third-party carts. Drill holes and refil the Canon ones.

Inky

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I agree about profiling for all inks I've tried, with the exception of the Hobbicolors UW8 ink. I found the HC UW-8 ink was highly neutral and more importantly, very linear, out of the box. Tinting can be accomplished with printer settings becasue the ink is so linear. I don't think I can emphasize that ebough for people who haven't tried it yet and may be jaded due to other 3rd party ink experiences.

Profiling actually reduced color quality and gamut for the UW8 ink in my experience, which makes sense if the ink is already highly accurate to the point where it would take an extremely high-end setup ($10K+) to make a superior profile.

Personally, I don't see the value in drilling Canon OEM carts, though to be fair it's a matter of personal preference and if drilling works for you that's great.

For consideration in the drillling vs 4rd party carts debate, the cart itself is hardly the technology bottleneck. Most people here use 3rd party carts without issues. Out of several OEM inks and many cartriges I've only had a problem with one cart. The Hobbicolors BCI-6 carts work great and have plastic (silicon?) screws which seal nicely. Also their sponges seem highly durable.

chickens

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi there, I just started using Hobbicolors UW8 ink. Only magenta and yellow is used. The cyan cart is still canon's ink. When I printed photos, one looks slightly reddish than the other and if inspect closer, you may see tiny particles of magenta ink. I have printed the same photo before this, but using all canon original inks and none of this problem occurs. I'm using canon's photo glossy paper as well. Could this problem be due to the mixture of 3rd party ink and oem ink?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
If you search internet for ink pooling you will find some useful user experiences about ink pooling. Usually it can be solved by chossing a different type of media combined with some setting changes for the media selelcted. You should try those that use less ink to print to reduce pooling. Not all inks are formualted equally. So are photo papers. You can try other 3rd party ink or change to other photo paper if you can not solve it by experienting with other media selection with different settings. Epson users seem to have this ink pooling and ink bronzing problems.