Hi I'm Dennis (DECCMA)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Any suggestions for storing ink carts? My Photosmart is older and I've snapped up some new carts from folks whose printers have gone to the recyclers. ;)

I was going to hunt around for a suitable glass jar and seal them up.

If you have some carts that are nearly empty or empty then you can fill them with pharmacist solution and that will keep them till your ready to purge and use them, or purge them first whatever you wish and store them in a plastic box with a sealed lid.

Pharmacist special solution
-20% isopropanol
-3% propylene glycol
-distilled water up to 100 %​
Patent pending ? :cool:
Edit I pulled pharmacist solution from another post and didn’t check it till @Emulator pointed out that the percentages in it were in fact wrong, so apologies for been so dumb, it’s now right, thanks Ian.. :confused:

Last edited:

deccma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
Thanks for that information. I had read something about the pharmacist solution somewhere but didn't have a clue as to what that was. Your post cleared that up for me. I made the mistake of throwing out the caps for the ink that came with the printer. Knowing what i know now i should have kept them. It would be good for storing them.

deccma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
A big thanks again for all that info that you took the time to post. I am grateful for your help. I have further questions for you, but for now I will let them wait and spend some time looking at other posts here on the forum. Its unfortunate that I did not keep the ink caps that came with the printer. It looks like they would be useful for refills and storage.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You can buy after-market storage clips from Precisioncolors. I think these clips are more convenient to use when topfilling the cartridges, than the Canon OEM clips attached with rubber bands.

I have noticed that Canon's cartridge change instructions tell you to discard the orange clip. "Nice trick" to make refill a little bit more difficult, if you should decide to try refilling later.

deccma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
Thank you very much for the info Peter. It looks like some other useful things there as well. Are the CLI-8 clips compatible with the CLI-42 carts used on the Canon Pro 100?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes, the CLI-42 cartridges are CLI-8 cartridges, so the clips fit perfectly; the difference between the cartridge types are the chip, label and ink, so a cleaned and relabelled CLI-8 cartridge with a CLI-42 chip attached makes an excellent refillable CLI-42 cartridge.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thank you very much for the info Peter. It looks like some other useful things there as well. Are the CLI-8 clips compatible with the CLI-42 carts used on the Canon Pro 100?
You can also get new replacement orange clips to fit your cartridges in Precisioncolor..:cool: