Help with ip4500

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I feel the original poster has exhausted all he knew to make the printer to work again. The first response from this forum (post #2) was absolutely correct and every word was brief but absolutely clear. It was an excellent advice in my opinion. If I were a novice I would have followed it with caution and asked questions as I go for it. The chance would be very high the problem be solved.

Your first response was do not attempt to clean the print head by removing it from the printer.

Then your next response had long words talking about removing the print head and do this and do that.

I think this is exactly what is going to cause a novice to be confused and lost. So if the original poster were not a novice would you have said otherwise to go ahead to remove the print head with caution to clean it?

We both were trying to help others. I am surprised that we are so different. I believe in that it is necessary to remove the print head to soak briefly in order to have a better chance to unclog a print head.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The second poster made no mention of the purge unit. That was my main point in my first, second, third, fourth, and now my fifth post.

EDIT: I went back and looked at my first post and I can see now what your concern is so I edited it to clarify. You are right, simply putting water (warm, not too hot) or other solvent on the print head will not damage it. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
If we read all our responses we both are pretty much on a same boat giving good advices. I understand it is difficult to make short phrases yet clear enough to cover everything in a correct order. I now see that you were trying to emphasize to check the purge unit first. I actually assumed that it was fine and the cause of the problem was a common ink drying up from the nozzles. I believe that's why we took different directions. It's great that we understand each other better now. I apologize for not looking at the subject with a broader angle. It is very clear that we both understand what a novice needs to deal with the common problem of a printer.