Help with HP564 Leak - HP C309G

LeoKesler

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for my bad english.

I'm tired of trying to refill these cartridges and the ink leaks through the print head. But the ink not leak if the cartridge is left on the table.

The cartridges comes with a kind of silicon pad to put on each "hole" inside of the print head.

Still, these cartridges leak.

I refill this way:

1. I put the orange plug that comes with the cartridge.
2. Remove the cap that is located on top of the cartridge.
3. Insert ink slowly. The sponge sucks the ink. After, the empty chamber is filled with ink. The empty chamber is filled to about 3/4 full.
4. Closing the cartridge with the plug.
5. I remove the orange plug and install the printer.

Obviously, a new cleaning process has to be done. Always.

The paper goes dirt, with some dirt ink. Sometimes it works and it prints perfectly. After a few hours, get out mixed colors on paper, like if the printhead have more ink than can use.
Other times, it seems that the ink "disappears" of the cartridge as if it had been spent. Yes, the ink disappears.

What am I doing wrong?

The original cartridge (came with the printer) worked great. I refill the cartridges using your vent hole.

It's hard to buy original cartridges for it, because here in Brazil, HP does not sell XL cartridges. And my only option is eBay, which charges very expensive freight.

The cartridges is bought from Dealextreme.
___i39.tinypic.com/2le0ps.jpg____

Maybe I have the same problem of this thread _____www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7295_____ , but I unable to find a solution.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I think there are three possibilities. I think #1 is the most likely, then #2, then #3.

1. I think you made a little mistake in filling the cartridges. I don't know whether that is the cause of the problem, but it could cause a problem. The cartridges have three openings: (1) the exit port at the bottom; (2) the filler port, where you are putting the ink, and (3) the air vent, which is another small hole at the top. You need to seal them all at the right time.

This is how to refill. Add ink until it is 1/4 full. Then SEAL THE AIR VENT. Now you can add ink all the way to the top, and seal the filler port. REMOVE THE SEAL FROM THE AIR VENT and make sure the cartridge doesn't leak. You are finished.

If you add ink fast, then you can fill it 1/2 full before you seal the vent. Since you add ink slowly, you should stop at 1/4 full, as I wrote.

2. The cartridges may leak. Even a small leak is too much. You MUST seal the filler plug completely. The cartridge may also have a small air leak, either on the outside or on the inside.

3. The printer head could have an internal leak. In this case you would have to replace the printer head.

To clean a contaminated cartridge, you can put a paper towel against the exit port until it's empty. If you have too much ink in a cartridge, you can blow on the air vent and remove a little bit -- about 1 mL (careful!).

You also said that suddenly the cartridges because empty. I don't know what is causing that. It could be #2, a leak in the filler plug or #3, a leak in the print head. You probably know that the printer does not report the correct amount of ink after you have refilled. That could make you think it is empty even if it is not.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
LeoKesler

I think youre not sealing the refill hole properly and your cartridge is leaking into your printer.

Push down on the refill plug more just to make sure that the plug is in all the way after refilling
then remove the bottom seal plug and leave the cartridge to stand on a saucer or plate
for a hour or two to check to see if it leaks.

It should drip a few drops but no more if there is more than that then your filler plug is not sealing the cartridge properly.
Also cover the air vent hole while refilling as ThrillaMozilla suggested..:)

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
leoKesler
I used to refill HP 364/564XL Carts. 364 is Europe 564 USA You can only fill the ink tank on the XL versions. This is because there is no connection between the tank and foam. You can refill from the bottom using the Inktec clips and refill ink, but you only put in maximum of 4ml. If you are trying to topfill a standard size there is probably ink leaking out. I used to top up a set when I did it to minimise the cleaning cycles. I have since switched to Canon as they are in general much easier to refill and resetters are available.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Barfl2, he doesn't have the cartridges you are talking about. He has refillable XL-compatible cartridges. You can tell because they have a plug. And the InkTec kits do not apply here.

By the way, you can use the same refill methods for both these and Canon cartridges. I am interested, however in your Canon experience and have started a thread here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7382 .

LeoKesler

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
And it happens again yesterday... leak. big leak. Almos 8ml from each cartridge. Above the printer, the towel is full of ink.

Today, I tried another sets of cartridges XL. Its chinese too but I bought it full of ink. It have a better appearence. After install, I dont need to perform a clean head, because the cartridges work correctly.

And I need to put some force to set down the cartridges into printer head.

I will wait for see the cartridge will leak.

I will put some pictures. There is a picture, with a yellow arrow. THis picture shows the ink pad ( ?? I dont know the name of that thing) full of ink. I try to put a needle to "suck" the ink but it dont work. I dont know what to buy (or the portuguese word for that pad) to try to replace. Bellow of printer, inside, have a carpet or rug. It is full of ink. If i just put my finger, without force, my finger gets dirty of ink.

In others pictures, you can see the ink leak above the printer and the ink system all dirty.

Link ___http://www.mediafire.com/?ot293l9hhb2aa2z____ Remove the ____

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
LeoKesler said:
And I need to put some force to set down the cartridges into printer head.
LeoKesler said:
The cartridges comes with a kind of silicon pad to put on each "hole" inside of the print head.
Maybe those two statements are connected.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
LeoKesler wrote:

And it happens again yesterday... leak. big leak. Almos 8ml from each cartridge. Above the printer, the towel is full of ink.

Today, I tried another sets of cartridges XL. Its chinese too but I bought it full of ink. It have a better appearence. After install, I dont need to perform a clean head, because the cartridges work correctly.
Does that mean that you refilled the refillable cartridges again and the leaked badly once more? In that case never use them again. The cartridges are defective.

I guess the prefilled cartridges are not refillable. If they work without leaking or causing other problems, you can continue using that type of cartridges, but do not refill them. Replace them with new cartridges of same type, when they are empty.

Please report if the prefilled cartridges solved the problem.

LeoKesler

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
LeoKesler wrote:
Does that mean that you refilled the refillable cartridges again and the leaked badly once more? In that case never use them again. The cartridges are defective.
Exactly. Two sets of refillable cartridges from Deal Extreme and all leak. It will go trash.

PeterBJ said:
I guess the prefilled cartridges are not refillable. If they work without leaking or causing other problems, you can continue using that type of cartridges, but do not refill them. Replace them with new cartridges of same type, when they are empty.
Please report if the prefilled cartridges solved the problem.
Do you saw the pictures ? I dont know how to refill that prefilled cartridges but maybe its the same way of the retail HP564XL.

Anyway, the seller have a site and the pack of 5 cartridges is cheap, so I will buy more.

And yes, after 10 hours, the prefilled cartridges dont leak. Because the cartridges is transparent, I can see the ink level and its ok, no signal of leaking.

And most interesting, after install the cartridges, I dont need to execute the clear print head procedure. It just work. Just Plug and Print.

Pictures: http://www.mediafire.com/?ot293l9hhb2aa2z

I already printed some photos using HP Photo Paper Premium Plus and the result was great. At least, I think the quality of ink is good enough.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
LeoKesler, please don't post files that we have to download and uncompress. Nobody will look at them. Just search Google for
upload image
and use one of those links. Thanks.