Help with choosing Inkjet Printer

Hate My Stylus C80

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi everyone. :cool:

I'm looking for a new inkjet printer in the $100-150 range. I'm sick of my Stylus C80. From all the printing errors, like printing undecipherable symbols, shooting out pages upon pages of blank prints, to massive ink usage, I'm done with it. I was thinking about getting an All-In-One, but after looking at my uses I think a dedicated printer would suffice. I rarely if ever need to fax and I most likely would use the scanner a few times per year to copy receipts and the like.

I've researched several printers and the Canon PIXMA ip4600 is on the short list. I'm also considering the ip4500 (if I can find one) as apparently it surpasses the ip4600 in many areas. I found it at Amazon, which ships from and is sold by ReStockIt - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V2MK8C...1&creativeASIN=B000V2MK8C&tag=cnet_mp-3529-20 ReStockIt doesn't have very good reviews while Amazon is better so I don't know about placing an order. I also noticed that the ip4700 is listed on the Canon site.

I'd appreciate any advice and suggestions for printers I should consider.

siusiuenen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I had been used epson printer before (r200, r320, r380) and i hate them due to the paper feed problem, clog, and ink gone as quick as alcoholic drink beer. Since i found this forum 3 years ago, i switch to canon and happy since then. Thanks to this forum. I refill for my pixma ip5200 since that day and it's still stay strong never ever have a single problem. I also stock a lots printer (mp970, mp530, mp830, mp4200, i960)but look like i never have chance to use them because my ip5200 won't die. Don't go for new generation of Canon, look like it lesser quality build since i see a lots of complaint about it and it very slow compare to epson new model. I impressed by the speed of Artisan 800 but seem like Epson still haven't fix the paper feed problem.

Hate My Stylus C80

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
OK, looks like the ip4500 if I go with a dedicated printer.

What about if I go with an AIO printer that doesn't have fax capability? I'm looking at the Canon PIXMA MP series.

I mostly print out typical web pages with a white background, text, and some color images, so that may change what printers I should be looking at. The printouts are for personal use so they aren't high quality.

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I do have an MP 198 (the newest member of the 190 series), and I must say that while I am NOT happy with the ink carts it is using (mostly because of the small carts and having to refill often --- I print out books and magazines and bind them so I need a heavy-duty printer and the 198 isn't it), I am very happy with its scanner/copier feature.

If you print only a small volume every now and then, if you can't even consume a ream of paper in a month, and if you don't have a scanner, then the MP 198 is a good choice.

The 4500 series printer (ones with individual tanks) are a no-brainer, but these are rugged printers and may be too much for your needs.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have had an MP600 for just over a year now. It has worked flawlessly and if anything, is even more economical with ink than my previous IP4000.

I can throughly recomend it if you can still get one. I believe the MP601 is much the same but the MP602 has the smaller cartridges.

Hate My Stylus C80

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
pebe said:
I have had an MP600 for just over a year now. It has worked flawlessly and if anything, is even more economical with ink than my previous IP4000.

I can throughly recomend it if you can still get one. I believe the MP601 is much the same but the MP602 has the smaller cartridges.
Thanks. Do you mean the MP610 not the MP601? I'm in the U.S. so models may be different. I can find the MP600, but only from a few retailers I've never heard of. The MP610 is more readily available and is $30 less.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, I was thinking of the next number up in the series.
Yes, I meant 610 and 620.

Kefp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
TS9020, Pro100
I have both IP4500 and the AIO MP610. Both good, no problem with either at all. I read somewhere that they have the same print engine. They certainly use the same of carts.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The 610 is possibly the best of the 5 tank Canon AIOs so far. You can't go wrong with that model if you don't need document feeding or fax capability.

Hate My Stylus C80

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well after searching I either can't find the ip4500 or MP610 from reputable sellers or the ones that show it listed don't have it stock.

I would appreciate any suggestions for quality printers in the $100-150 range.