Help with choosing Inkjet Printer

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I'm glad this thread got started,.. and Ihope more people add their comments about some of the new Canon Printers. About 6 months ago I posted a new thread about the changes that Canon was making to some of their printer lines. It is not some much a line, as I think they are trying to be more clever than that. They are introducing printers in what seems a Random model numbers so the new ones don't seem that obvious.

In the past years they have jumped printer number around and at much latter dates introduced new printers with old numbers. For example, the new iP4500 mentioned here was announced 2 1/2 year after they came out with the iP6600D and then the iP6700d. All of these are GREAT printers. Then they came out with the MP510, which some would just believe is the brand new model of the MP500, which again, is an outstanding printer. However, in my much earlier thread I pointed out that the MP450, MP460, and now the MP510 have been so cost reduced in there design I must warn everyone I meet to never buy one of these. Over the past 2 months I have had 4 customers with all the same problems with the purge unit jamming in the MP510. I reviewed how the entire design of this purge unit has changed from traditional Canon printers. It is really very cheap and prone to failure. The 2nd cost reduction they did was to eliminate the Stainless Steel Carriage shaft that gave them very high accuracy in linear DPI printing. The new low cost printers only have extruded sheet metal back bone and the Carriage slides on a bed of grease and the sheet metal rail. This is one reason you see the reduced print resolution in these printer. It is like trying to draw a straight line with a pencil and a steel ruler. What good would it do to have a printhead with 1 pico liter nozzles if you can't control where the nozzle is going to be.

The other key point about these lost cost printer is that they were basically designed to be at such a low cost, Canon could afford to give them away in their new promotions of other products. They are doing this to keep pace with HP in the give away business. However I think they are both doomed to fail. People are not dump enough to go buy a 2nd printer just because their first one failed. They will look elsewhere. No one wants to waste money these days.

For EVERYONE OF YOU THAT HAS A NEW CANON PRINTER,... PLEASE OPEN IT UP AND EXAMINE THE SHAFT THE CARRIAGE RIDES ON AND POST A NOTE TO THIS THREAD GIVING US THE MODEL NUMBER AND YOUR EVALUATION. I would really appreciate this as I only find out about printers when I get one to fix, and most of the ones I'm seeing of are the MP4xx and MP5xx series. This is not to say that some of the others don't break from time to time, as they do. It is just that they are at least worth repairing.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
Another vote for the MP600/610. My 600 has been the best printer I've owned. I use MIS ink and have a resetter. I'm good to go.

siusiuenen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score