Help with a HP 22 Cartridge

thescooter2003

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi
I'm having trouble refilling my HP 22 cartridge for my HP PSC 1401 Printer.
I got a low ink message, removed and refilled the cartridge but I can't get the printer to accept it as full. It still gives me a low ink message and when I check ink levels, it says it is low. Any possible solutions.
Thanks

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
This printer has a chip which remembers the last 2 cartridges, so after re-filling, it does not know that your cartridge has ben re-filled-it still thinks it is empty.
Keep your old empties for the future. After re-filling, put in an old cartridge, and let the printer make it's usual set of noises. Then put in another old one. When you remove this one as well and put in the refilled cartridge, the printer will see then it as "full", since it will now think that it is new.

Good Luck!!

conundrum

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
So then an extra two sets of carts would be needed before this unit could use refills? Ouch. Is there no cheaper way to do this, like a chip resetter?

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
conundrum said:
So then an extra two sets of carts would be needed before this unit could use refills? Ouch. Is there no cheaper way to do this, like a chip resetter?
This link gives resetting instructions for various HP carts. Your 22 cart is not in the list but it may use the same contact layout as one of the others shown.

http://www.misterinkjet.com/hpreset.htm

conundrum

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Apparently this printers carts are equivalent to 27 and 28. So that may work, but I don't have this printer yet to try.

fdc7446

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have #22 and #21 carts in my machine (HP 3930) and this trick (see pebe above) worked just fine for me. I got this prtr because of the small foot print and I like it fine but I wish I had read this forum first. It has such small capacity carts it is almost a joke.

fdc7446

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The last time I filled the Black #21 cart I could only get 3ml into it. If anyone has a suggestion for a workaround I would sure like to hear it. I am about to operate on a cart and experment with it, see if I can get more capacity. I don't
really care so much about the ink level gauge, it's too flaky and not worth the bother. It is a good idea that has been
screwed over so much it is useless.
A soft ware hack would be good. I wonder if I can load a driver for a #96 cart printer and use a #96 cart. Anyone have any ideas on that?

TETEC511

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just refilled the Black HP #21 Cartridge for my HP 3930 printer. I was having trouble resetting the ink level and I searched everywhere. I found something that worked by accident. Everywhere said that the printer holds 2 cartridges in memory...Well I was trying the instructions for the #56, one site said it worked for the #21 which it didn't ...BUT I followed the instructions and taped the top hole on the right, got a message not installed right, took it out, put it back in without the tape, then took it out and put it in again with tape on it again, then took 1 old one I had to turn into staples for a refund, and even though it was empty it registered as full...I took it out and put in the refilled on and it registered... So I think maybe having the tape on it, and off again must have made it read as different...Or because it read it as installed wrong and not in at all...When it went back in without the tape it reset... So I thought it might be something to try at least... Tape on and off, maybe have to do it more than once but it might be enough to mess up the memory...Good Luck