Help with a Canon IP4300

keastman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've have a Canon IP 4300 and have used the after market cartridges that you have to transfer the chip to from the original Canon tanks. I've been through a set in the colors and the large black tank with no problems other than having to go through the voiding your warantee screens and not having the tank level moniters work. The last canon cartridge (small black one) finally went and since I've changed that one out, I can not get the printer to work. When I go to print I just get a small rectangular box on screen that says "ink tank errors have occured, open the printer's cover and replace tanks of which the lights are off" and the orange light blinks next to the paper feed button. The tank moniter screen also says there are tanks that the printer cannot recognize I've tried pushing the feed button in for 5+ seconds to rest it and no luck. I've also tried using a pencil eraser on the contacts of the chips to see it that would help. No luck. Any suggestions to try to override this other than buying a new set of Canon cartridges? Also, if I do buy new ones and opt to refill them, will I avoid this problem in the future? The after market cartriges I've been using are from Ink Grabber.

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can give me.

Kevin

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Worst case scenario: the chip broke down when trying to remove it from the original cartridge. In this case: buy a new cart. Otherwise the most likely case: the contacts of the chip are a bit offset, causing the malfunction. Try to reinstall the chip again and make sure the chip is attached in a proper way.

Besides it is best to refill the original cartridges due to their superior built (double sponge architecture with a different sponge density to ensure an optimal ink flow towards the printhead, not seen on aftermarket cartridges) and little chance to destroy the chip due to removing and attaching it. The easiest way to refill is to use the german Durchstichmethod to refill the carts. Very easy and with a minimum of spileage of ink.

keastman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
thanks a lot for your response, don't know if this makes a difference or not but all the lights on the tanks are flashing when I remove and repace them, so I think the chips are probably making congtact. Looks like I'm due for a new set of Canon tanks, then trying to refil from there. It's ceaper to buy a new Ip=P3500 and the black tank separate than it is to get all new tanks. Guess I'll try that and have a printer to spare. Can't fide a 4300 anywhere locally.

keastman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
fotofreek, thanks for the link, I did find a 3500 at Staples this week for $39 with rebates and a woman I met in the store gave me $9 in coupons that she couldn't use. So it worked out well $ wise. Now I'll just have to be careful trying to refil and not harm the chips. Pretty sad when you have to buy a new printer cause it's cheaper to take the inks from it than buy them new. Can't wait until someone gets the chip resetting down aftermarket.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You cannot replace all of the cartridges. At least one of them must have a working chip in order to complete a circuit. Buy 1 genuine cart and then your printer should wok. Please post results here, and good luck!!

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Manuchau,
Are you saying that you cannot buy a complete set of "virgin" empty CLI8 and PGI5,refill them,and put them into an ip4200 or iP4300 and have it work?

I have 3(three),brand new iP4200 Canon printers(never used at all---ink was sold) but no NEW ink cartridges.I have a handful of empties(CLI8,PGI5) to refill.Must I purchase a "new" full cartridge to get the printers to function..Thanks!

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You need the carts because they have a circuit on them. You cannot use the older bci-6 tanks in the 4200.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
If you buy used virgin (never been refilled) empty CLI8 and PGI5 cartridges you should purge them before using them. You will never know if they have been laying around for too long and become too dried in the sponge. Dried ink in the sponge is bad for refilling. I have run into problems a few times with PGI5 cartridges.