help required refilling

petrocelli

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Avolanche thanks for the prompt reply.The needle was definitely in up to the prism as I checked this before I started.If it doesnt cause any particular problems then thats good,maybe I will just have to refill more often.I still have another 3 carts to do so will see how I get on and report back.Incidentally also bought a chip resetter (blue model) here in the UK at what I considered a good price going by what I've been reading on here.It works fine.Will post the details in the appropriate thread.Thanks again

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
petrocelli said:
...... after the initial fill the sponge saturated the way it should and I left it for a minute or two to settle as per the instructions.After this when I checked the ink chamber was half full(yellow) and 3/4 full in the black one.The sponge as I said was fully saturated,at this point I tried to fill the chamber up but it wouldn't take any more leaking out of the bottom feed.This quickly stopped and I then tried them in the printer and they worked perfectly,print quality as good as the original.The only other point I would make is that the sponges were quite dry as they had been lying around for some time with a friend - don't know how long.My question is how much ink should I be able to inject into the chamber.Is less than full a problem or am I doing something wrong?
I had that problem when I first used the German refilling mothod. When you turn the cart the right way up ink starts to flow into the sponge - quite a bit if the sponge is dry-ish.

The danger is that the chip thinks the cart is full - and it isn't. So you could be happily printing next time with the indicator telling you there was ink in the cart, when in fact the reservoir could be empty.

You can overcome the problem by turning over the cart for a few minutes afetr filling, with the needle still in position. You will see when the level of ink has fallen and stabilised. Then turn the cart upside down again and top up. You will end up with a full cart.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
pebe said:
petrocelli said:
...... after the initial fill the sponge saturated the way it should and I left it for a minute or two to settle as per the instructions.After this when I checked the ink chamber was half full(yellow) and 3/4 full in the black one.The sponge as I said was fully saturated,at this point I tried to fill the chamber up but it wouldn't take any more leaking out of the bottom feed.This quickly stopped and I then tried them in the printer and they worked perfectly,print quality as good as the original.The only other point I would make is that the sponges were quite dry as they had been lying around for some time with a friend - don't know how long.My question is how much ink should I be able to inject into the chamber.Is less than full a problem or am I doing something wrong?
I had that problem when I first used the German refilling mothod. When you turn the cart the right way up ink starts to flow into the sponge - quite a bit if the sponge is dry-ish.

The danger is that the chip thinks the cart is full - and it isn't. So you could be happily printing next time with the indicator telling you there was ink in the cart, when in fact the reservoir could be empty.

You can overcome the problem by turning over the cart for a few minutes afetr filling, with the needle still in position. You will see when the level of ink has fallen and stabilised. Then turn the cart upside down again and top up. You will end up with a full cart.
If I am reading Petrocelli's post correctly,he's doing as you say(letting the sponge saturate).So the problem is that air is not going out as ink is going in.Might try holding a finger over the large outlet and *slowly* injecting more ink.Even cartridges from a factory fill are not completely full and the sponge is often not even saturated to the top.

I'd assume that there is a specific amont(cc's) of ink and one can measure it out to make sure of a "complete fill" regardless of what the saturation/level seems to be....but that would assume a totally empty cartridge to start(unlikely for most fills).It's much better to check ink levels frequently than to burn out an inkhead,regardless of how full the cartridge or what the ink monitor might say.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
avolanche said:
If I am reading Petrocelli's post correctly,he's doing as you say(letting the sponge saturate).So the problem is that air is not going out as ink is going in.Might try holding a finger over the large outlet and *slowly* injecting more ink.Even cartridges from a factory fill are not completely full and the sponge is often not even saturated to the top.

I'd assume that there is a specific amont(cc's) of ink and one can measure it out to make sure of a "complete fill" regardless of what the saturation/level seems to be....but that would assume a totally empty cartridge to start(unlikely for most fills).It's much better to check ink levels frequently than to burn out an inkhead,regardless of how full the cartridge or what the ink monitor might say.
Using the German method I have found that the sponge does not get 'supersaturated' like it does with the normal method of refilling, and there is enough room around the needle to vent out the air.

But that last top up needs to be done slowly.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
It is very important that the sponge is not oversaturated or you will get massive banding in your prints. The traditional method of refilling (hole above ink compartment) requires milking of the sponge after refilling to desaturate the inevitable oversaturation this method will cause. If the sponge is totally drenched you will have trouble sooner or later.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
It is very important that the sponge is not oversaturated or you will get massive banding in your prints.
I am not really sure what you mean by an "oversaturated sponge". I have been using the top refill method for years (Hobbicolor inks) and most times the sponge fills to the top with ink - just happens as I am filling with ink. After a partial fill of ink I cover the maze hole with tape and then fill the spongeless chamber - most times the sponge is filled to the top. I don't "milk", as you call it, the cartridge before covering the outlet hole with the Orange cap. I do try to push out a drop of ink before placing the cartridge in the printer but that is only to make sure there is ink available at the outlet hole. Not sure I really have to do that. I have never had a banding problem with a refilled cartridge.

Steve W.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
It is very important that the sponge is not oversaturated or you will get massive banding in your prints. The traditional method of refilling (hole above ink compartment) requires milking of the sponge after refilling to desaturate the inevitable oversaturation this method will cause. If the sponge is totally drenched you will have trouble sooner or later.
I agree!I always "milk the cartridge" by squeezing the sides after refilling.It doesn't matter what refilling technique one uses,it's possible to oversaturate.So why not take a few seconds to be safe and squeeze the cartridge?

petrocelli

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
avolanche said:
If I am reading Petrocelli's post correctly,he's doing as you say(letting the sponge saturate).So the problem is that air is not going out as ink is going in.Might try holding a finger over the large outlet and *slowly* injecting more ink
Hi again.After I had read your post seveal times the bit about the air triggered with me and it occurred to me that I had filled with the orange cap still in place.The other thing I thought was different was the photos over at Drukerchannel show the cart initially standing vertical whilst the first fill went in this is different to Pharmacist's pictures which shows the cart at an angle and the air bubble slowly disappearing. Anyway I took a cart(Cyan)which had not been touched before and started filling without the orange cap and following Pharmacists guide.This worked perfectly.Further to this I removed the orange caps from the two problem carts and left them overnight then tried to top them up as above,they took the ink into the the hollow chamber no problem.I filled the rest of the set in the same way without issue.So either Pharmacists cartridge position is better or the orange caps shouldn't have been on.Incidentally on the question of capacity Druckerchannel quote 13ml for the CLI-8 and 26ml for PGI-5,this is for carts with a fully dried out sponge otherwise the capacitys are 10 and 20 respectively which would suggest the sponge hold 3 or 6ml.
When I filled the ones I hadn't touched this would appear to be near enough.Anyway looks like success.Thanks for all your help.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
petrocelli said:
avolanche said:
If I am reading Petrocelli's post correctly,he's doing as you say(letting the sponge saturate).So the problem is that air is not going out as ink is going in.Might try holding a finger over the large outlet and *slowly* injecting more ink
Hi again.After I had read your post seveal times the bit about the air triggered with me and it occurred to me that I had filled with the orange cap still in place.The other thing I thought was different was the photos over at Drukerchannel show the cart initially standing vertical whilst the first fill went in this is different to Pharmacist's pictures which shows the cart at an angle and the air bubble slowly disappearing. Anyway I took a cart(Cyan)which had not been touched before and started filling without the orange cap and following Pharmacists guide.This worked perfectly.Further to this I removed the orange caps from the two problem carts and left them overnight then tried to top them up as above,they took the ink into the the hollow chamber no problem.I filled the rest of the set in the same way without issue.So either Pharmacists cartridge position is better or the orange caps shouldn't have been on.Incidentally on the question of capacity Druckerchannel quote 13ml for the CLI-8 and 26ml for PGI-5,this is for carts with a fully dried out sponge otherwise the capacitys are 10 and 20 respectively which would suggest the sponge hold 3 or 6ml.
When I filled the ones I hadn't touched this would appear to be near enough.Anyway looks like success.Thanks for all your help.
Regarding capacity:as you can see,it's not possible to get this exact due to several factors(like HOW saturated the sponge is).Just do the best you can.My experience is that it takes a little practice.....some trial and error.But once you hit the sweet spot,it works great.

The reason that I suggested putting a finger over the large exit,is that you were getting drips.I find no need to do this.The upside-down and slightly tilted cartridge position is the key for me( as shown in the photos/videos of the German method).

In any case,a little squeeze cannot hurt and insures no overfills.