Help me buy a wide format photo printer!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
@stratman
Thanks for your caring inquiry - I'm fine and living about 200 miles away from the recent disaster area and I'm not affected - we barely had any rain during that period here.

I think the last theme about the fading of inks of new printers - performance - availability - created quite an amount of postings and results you can't find anywhere else to this level of detail which makes this forum uniqe, and I expect other interesting subjects to pop up - I'll keep an eye on those.

Sotalo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon imageProGraf 1000
I don't think the OP needed quite this much info... they just needed a decent wide format printer for their scrapbook. The Canon Pixma Pro 200 is beautiful, but Epson ET-8550 would save more on ink in the long run. Both are dye photo printers with great colors, but neither are perfect. If you really want quality, The imageProGraf 300 uses pigments, but the inks are some of the most expensive on the market. Think $1 per page, just in ink. Vs. the Epson ET-8550 which uses a refillable ink tank and only costs pennies.

Let us know what you decided, or if you need help on anything specific!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I don't think the OP needed quite this much info... they just needed a decent wide format printer for their scrapbook.
The OP in deed doesn’t need all that information, the Pro 200/300 will fill all their requirements because they only wish to use OEM inks and don’t want to use 3rd party inks..

O’ The Classic wide format printers start at 43cm and up, not 32cm..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I don't think the OP needed quite this much info...

The OP in deed doesn’t need all that information
Where were you when OP first posted?

OP asked for "help" - it's in the title - not to tell him what to get. Info let's OP decide for himself.

You two armchair quarterbacks benefited from the additional info I elicited from OP.

they just needed a decent wide format printer for their scrapbook.
The OP had narrowed it down to Canon, not Epson, will be using OEM inks, and appears to want a printer has native 12x12 paper setting. The Canon Pro 200 and Pro 300 do native 12x12, including borderless, for the scrapbooker, no muss no fuss, which your Epson does not. You ignored this and then gave information that wasn't asked for and, by your criteria, unneeded.

I don't think you need borderless support for scrapbooking.
Who are you to say OP does not need borderless?

You've been here all of two weeks and already know what is best for others and how things should be. Funny thing is you didn't do all the research on the paper for your expensive new printer and needed your hand held. I did that for you. You also posted two new member posts. I don't just think it, I know it that you don't need that. I suggest you delete the one with your name. But you want to critique others and offer advice that wasn't asked for. Not smart.

As for @The Hat, go sit on your hat. :smack

Sotalo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon imageProGraf 1000
Whoa, dude. I may have joined only a couple weeks ago, but I've been printing for decades, in personal and professional capacity. And I've used all sorts of different printers, lasers, inkjets, wide-format plotters, etc. I did the same research you did on RRP's website before posting, but I wanted to hear about this issue from people with personal experience because there were some discrepancies. Wow. Did not expect such a toxic response from you.

The reason I mentioned the Epson was because, for $100 more, they can get a printer with an ink tank that lasts for a really long time. Canon doesn't make an inktank that accepts 12" width, so over time cartridges will end up being very expensive if she sticks with Canon Pixma Pro 200. And because I personally own the Epson, I can verify it works beautifully. Pigments, custom profiles, and archival prints are more likely to be out-of-budget. And for a scrapbook, might not be necessary.

Sotalo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon imageProGraf 1000
that's very important to know as well - the fading performance of a print is a combination of both - the paper + the ink performance together - nothing is for free in this respect and it is your choice which performance level you need and expect and you are willing to pay for.
Yes! I've printed stock Epson dyes on Polar Gloss Metallic paper (Epson Artisan 810), which has an incredible coat, and even after 9 years I haven't noticed much fading. Most people equate dyes to cheap CMYK printers and uncoated copy paper, but dyes can work a lot better with the right printer (additional colors for better balance) and the right paper (better coats).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I may have joined only a couple weeks ago
That's right. You know shite about the forum and the flow here.

Where do you get off saying too much info and you don't need borderless printing? You are not the OP who decides what is or isn't important. Mentioning Epson is OK but OP had their choices and those choices revolved around Canon and scrapbook 12x12 printing. Your Epson failed to fill OP's inquiry. You failed to understand OP.

You better have your ducks in a row before you portray yourself as knowledgeable and not just opinionated. Criticizing others on the forum when you are an unknown is asking for the hammer to your raised nail.

I do thank you for your post to Ink Stained Fingers. While your post was off topic and therefore technically "too much info", you did corroborate what I wrote initially about ink and paper demonstrating it was not too much info after all.

Don't act like a Muppet and we'll get along. Ease into the forum and become a valued member.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You better have your ducks in a row before you portray yourself as knowledgeable and not just opinionated. Criticizing others on the forum when you are an unknown is asking for the hammer to your raised nail. Don't act like a Muppet and we'll get along. Ease into the forum and become a valued member.
@stratman has become our stand-in moderator, someone has to.. Otherwise we are a ship without a rudder..:th