Help me buy a wide format photo printer!

Sotalo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon imageProGraf 1000
Seriously? This jerk is a mod?

OP wanted to print 12" on a budget. $1000 CAD, or $800 USD. Unlike your suggestion to use pigment inks, pigment printers, and color calibration, which costs double, I recommended a printer that saves them money. Not archival, but gets the job done, and with the right paper it can last a lot longer than standard photo prints.

You think I need to earn your respect before you begin to treat me decent? WOW. How about this: treat other people with respect before demanding it. I came here looking for users with real experience and all you did was shove a website in my face. I was fully aware of what the site said, a one word answer which other professionals in my life and on this forum have found nuance, and apparently you found none. As far as I'm concerned, this ship might find the right dock if it was rudderless.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Sotalo, your conduct and attitude to other members is not what we come to expect from another member, newbie or not, respect is earned by how and what you post in response to the cry for help here, and so far you are lacking on both accounts.

You need to reflect on what and how you post, we’re not interested in pissing competitions, just good sound advice, so please heed this advice and take time to calm down and offering an apology might go a long way in clearing the air..;)

Sotalo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon imageProGraf 1000
This is a public forum, everyone deserves to be treated with respect, there is no excuse otherwise. People with a budget of $800 asking for a printer don't need to get slammed with a ton of questions and infodumped about processes that cost $1500, and then get recommended the most expensive printers and inks on the market. And it certainly doesn't help to get shut down when I offer a valuable second opinion within budget.

If you guys think it's perfectly OK to shut down knowledgeable people, then that needs to be allowed both ways. Strat's advice didn't work in budget, mine did. Not everyone can afford pigments and custom calibration. Other people's opinions do matter. He needs to snap back to reality, and you need to stop letting him treat other people like dirt.

I've been printing beautiful photos and art for ages on dozens of different printers without needing any help from any of you. If you can't respect me now, I don't need to be here. Forget this.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Unlike your suggestion to use pigment inks
You continue to be unimpressive and underwhelming.

It was the OP, not me, who narrowed his search to 2 Canon printers, one a Dye-based ink printer and the other a Pigment ink printer.

Not archival
OP actual stated in Post #3 the purpose is for "archival purposes".

Your mediocre suggestion, however, provides a moment to say to OP that OEM Pigment ink provides the most archival - fade resistant - prints. Eventually, though, it all fades.

You think I need to earn your respect before you begin to treat me decent? WOW. How about this: treat other people with respect before demanding it.
No, you did not need to "earn" my respect as a new member. I treated you with respect from the start. Go back and read my posts to you in your metallic paper thread.

What changed is you failed to treat others with respect on this thread. Too much information? That is for the OP to decide. You were disrespectful to me and you made an assumption that OP was not capable of handling information. That was disrespectful of the OP in treating them as if they cannot understand or reason for themselves. Similarly, your comment on OP not needing borderless printing was patronizing.

This is your arrogance and disrespect and you keep displaying it.

Sotalo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon imageProGraf 1000
LOVE how you completely ignored the budget and recommended pigments and color calibration for a scrapbook. LOVE how you ignored the cost benefit of inktanks and doubled down claiming my opinion, actually the only one in budget, was completely and totally worthless. If they're going to print black on colored cardstock, is double-the-budget pigment and color calibration and 12x12 borderless really necessary?

There is only one arrogant know-it-all right now, and that's you. The OP's last words were they had a lot to think about and completely stopped responding to you. Maybe more people would come here for help and advice if you were a bit more welcoming than saying "respect here is earned" when new people try to help others.

Sir, I gave you all the respect in the world until you lost it. I read my comments. Did you read yours?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You are becoming tedious.

This is a public forum
No, this is a private platform. You were required to register to become a member in order to post.

everyone deserves to be treated with respect
You forfeited the privilege of respect when you treated others disrespectfully.

People with a budget of $800 asking for a printer don't need to get slammed with a ton of questions and infodumped about processes
First, you have no idea what the TCO limitations OP has. Second, OP was looking at two premium printers of different classes. Maybe he knows his own budget better than you. Third, questions were asked to help the forum help him to make an informed decision, not to burp an opinion on him. That's one of the methods this forum uses to help people.

And it certainly doesn't help to get shut down when I offer a valuable second opinion within budget.
Continuing to say "budget" does not make your bias valid with respect to OP.

I think this is the crux of your pouting. You made a "valuable" suggestion and you didn't get comments. 36 hours after you made your Epson suggestion you posted a second comment pushing the Epson one more time. Again, no one marveled at your recommendation.

No one's listening to me! Why aren't they recognizing my valuable comment! Listen to ME! :rant

If you guys think it's perfectly OK to shut down knowledgeable people
Talk about missing the mark. You were spanked because of your disrespect. It wasn't because of your knowledge or lack thereof.