Help! Ink Cartridges "depressurizing" (breathing?)

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
This makes sense. Where I am at this time of year one minute it's cold, then we put the heating in and it becomes very warm, then there is condensation on the window so we open the window to try and make sure no mold starts up.

Like The Hat says, don't overthink things, excuse the pun, go with the flow...

Thank you all again and I will check in a while how the Carts are currently inside the Printer.

P.S. PeterBJ yes I have the lipped Plugs as you have referenced, and that is the whole issue here, the Plugs, while tightly sealed (with PVC Tape) and flush as you document, when I went to use these Carts that have only been stored for a few days, it was my surprise to see the Plugs on all 3 Carts that I had ready to have been lifted out of the hole.

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
It is a good idea to reset the chip before refilling the cartridge. You get a proof that the chip and resetter is OK and you avoid accidentally squeezing the refilled cartridge and spilling ink when resetting it.

I learned this the hard way...;) But sometimes I just forget to reset the chip prior to filling.

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
It is a good idea to reset the chip before refilling the cartridge. You get a proof that the chip and resetter is OK and you avoid accidentally squeezing the refilled cartridge and spilling ink when resetting it.

Hmmm, maybe so maybe I am squeezing TOO hard when I push the Plug in and moreso applying the Insulating Tape as tightly as I can (because I noticed these Plugs (at least in my set-up) really aren't snug, I mean they are, but they just slip out as opposed to having to be pulled back out when taking them back out.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You mention the sponge was not dry enough. Correct (I guess?) All the Carts were freshly used OEM's, some still with a little Ink still in them

This comment was only in reference to newly purge carts and not to already used carts, and you always refill the cart when showing low on screen, or once the reservoir is void of ink.

Its impossible to refill all your carts in time while the print head is in the middle of the carriageway, so if you only have one set, then take your time and do it properly, if you close the top lid and open it again the head will return to the middle, no harm done.

In this Pic below, you can clearly see the ink is well above the top of the sponge, and has gotten into the air maze and I reckon that’s what’s causing your refill plugs to pop out.
Overfilled 2.jpg

In the OctoInk instructions it mentions to fill half way, then block the Air Maze intentionally and fill "to the top". This is exactly what I did with them all.
It really doesn’t matter which refill procedure you follow, the trick is to get it right, the OctoInkjet instructions are clearly wrong, if that what it states, you should only fill to ¾ full for safety.

If you’re not happy with the type of refill plug your using then change them, but unless you change the way you refill, then they’ll pop out too, or worse ink can seep out of the air maze itself, when the air pressure outside changes that has a huge effect on the inside of your cartridges too.

I in fact use these big silicone plugs in one of my carts and I always hold it down with a piece of PVC tape, I don’t know why, because it has never pop out even before I started to use the stupid tape, belt and braces I guess... :eek:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If your plug is hard to push in, I found the below article helpful if you have numbered drill bits.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/pro-100-cli-42-carts.12113/

I think this applies to plugs sold by Precision Colors. These plug are different from the plugs from Octoinkjet UK. There is no need to drill the cartridge when using the plugs from Octoinkjet UK.

But for the plugs not to pop out the plug and the "well" it sits in must be clean and dry. Could this be the problem?

These are Precision Colors plugs:

Plugs Precision Colors.jpg

And these are the lipped plugs from Octoinkjet UK. The diameter of the lip and the height of the plug are around 7mm. @Photographic Memory do your plugs look like these from Octoinkjet UK:?

Plugs lipped.jpg

I have never used tape on these plugs, but when using the low profile plugs that are needed for cartridges for some newer multifunction machines I use aluminium tape, like this:

Plugs low profile.jpg

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
Yes sir, this is exactly how my plugs look like, I made sure the hole was clean and dry (used a Q-Tip as recommended) and it was the first time since taking Ball Plug out. Nevertheless I will always use tape after this.

After what I have gathered it is either Air Pressure/Squeezing or Overfilling. I will keep an eye on things, will have a couple of Prints ready to print and then insert the Carts.

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
think this applies to plugs sold by Precision Colors. These plug are different from the plugs from Octoinkjet UK. There is no need to drill the cartridge when using the plugs from Octoinkjet UK.

Learn something everyday on this forum. :) Personally, I like the Precision Colors plug as you don't need the tape... One less thing!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes sir, this is exactly how my plugs look like, I made sure the hole was clean and dry (used a Q-Tip as recommended) and it was the first time since taking Ball Plug out. Nevertheless I will always use tape after this.

After what I have gathered it is either Air Pressure/Squeezing or Overfilling. I will keep an eye on things, will have a couple of Prints ready to print and then insert the Carts.

If the vent is not blocked by ink from overfilling, the cartridges should not develop an overpressure, so changes in ambient temperature or barometric pressure should not be able to push the plugs out. The vent must not be sealed by tape or similar, as it acts as a safety vent to prevent over and under pressure in the cartridge.

If the vent has been blocked by ink from overfilling, the cartridge should be emptied and flushed and dried before being refilled again.

Do not install a leaking cartridge in the printer. In a worst case that can ruin the print head and maybe the logic board as well making the printer a total loss!

A bad quality leaking 3rd party cartridge once ruined the print head in an IP4200 for me. The leaked ink crept under the nozzle plate and created a short circuit that took out some of the yellow nozzles, maybe also the logic board. A damaged print head might damage the logic board and a logic board that has been damaged by a print head might damage a new print head.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
These are Precision Colors plugs:
My experience, unless the silicone plugs have changed from Precision Colors, the standard profile plug fits snugly and perfectly either in the otherwise unadulterated hole left after removing the ball OR a 5/32 inch drilled hole elsewhere on the top of the cartridge. The funnel-like aspect of the hole where the ball used to be, combined with the compressible/expandable nature of the plugs, make for a tight seal with the plug.

I've not used them, but, chances are the low profile silicone plugs perform similarly.