PRO-100/CLI-42 carts

randyr5

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-8550
I'm pretty new to this forum and a relative newcomer to the PRO-100. I watched a ton of Jose's videos on the printer, and on the CLI-42 cart mod, flush, etc. This post is about the carts.
I took Jose's advice and got an extra set of empty carts on ebay, drilled and flushed them. I also got the PC refill kit and got some extra clear silicone plugs for the carts. I found the plugs to be a very tight fit in the 5/32" hole recommended in the video, so I did a little research.

I mic'd the plug and it has a diameter of about 4.3mm. The 5/32" hole is about 3.97mm. The next size up in SAE bits was 11/64" or about 4.36mm - too big. So I got out my numbered drill bits, which give you a lot more flexibility. I got out these bits:

#22 about 3.99mm
#21 about 4.04mm
#20 about 4.09mm
#19 about 4.22mm

I had a sacrificial cart to play with, so I started with the 22. Still pretty tight. Same with 21. #20 was much better. I could seat the plug fully without too much force and it was still air tight. #19 also worked, still air tight.

My conclusion is that the colored plugs with the pull tab are slightly smaller and/or more pliable and work fine in the 5/32" hole. The clear silicone ones from PC work better for me with a slightly larger hole. I'll probably stick with the #20 bit just to be safe.

Oh, and the syringes for flushing still fit fine in the larger hole.

Last edited:

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
On a sife note, Is it safe to put thick black PVC (Electrical) Tape in addition to the Silicon Plug?

This is what I have done, first time refiller here… at first I thought it is better to be safe and not risk a leak if the Silicone Plug doesn't fit well and comes loose inside Printer.

But now I am wondering if I have hampered any technological functioning, like I said, I used a thick, say, 1 inch strip of black tape. Would this impede said Prism being able to be recognized when Ink is low, and is there any use of the internal prong inside the Cart near the Fill Hole as the Tape completely covers it?

Thank you, and sorry if I hi-jacked the thread.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
You can put tape over the silicone plug if that makes you feel more secure. I never use any on my Canon carts. The silicone plugs should be a snug fit in a round hole.

I believe the internal prong is used to signal OEM filling equipment that the reservoir is full.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I also think the single prong is an optical indicator used in filling at the factory. This prong is present in BCI-6 cartridges but absent in CLI-8 cartridges.