HELP! I put Epson ink in my canon printer

skyblues7

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G2411
If anyone could help me I would be so thankful.

I foolishly put Epson 664 M and C ink in my Canon Pixma G2411 printer. The ink is not working and having now googled potential problems (which I very much wish I had done before) I don't want to damage my printer anymore.

What are my best options? Should I try to use all the C and M ink by running it through the machine or will this cause more damage?
How can I easily empty the ink tanks and refill them with the correct ink?

Thanks

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I don't know how easy it is to get to the printhead , disconnect the affected ink tubes and suck up all ink through the tubes with a syringe, and then reload with the correct inks, pull them up into the tubes, reconnect them to the printhead and run a cleaning cycle or 2 to flush the channels in the printhead.

skyblues7

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G2411
thank you, I will try to figure out how to get to the printhead. What do you mean by 'pull them up into the tubes'?
cheers

skyblues7

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G2411
do I also need to pull up the ink in the printhead itself using the syringe?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
do I also need to pull up the ink in the printhead itself using the syringe?
a cleaning cycle or two should to the job, that's easier sometimes than trying to remove air in the tight ink channels inside the printhead.
My proposal is actually experimental, I don't know if you have a syringe available, how easy access is to the top of the printhead etc. I had a G1500 some time ago but don't remember all such details anymore. You can disengage the printhead from the parking position by turning on the printer, and pulling the power cord as soon as the carriage starts moving. I remember vaguely that you cannot get into the ink tubes directly with a syringe and a long needle to get the ink out this way so you would need to pull it via the tubes.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The print heads are modified combined sponge and print head cartridges, They can be seen in this video. If the Epson ink has entered the sponges I think it cannot be removed, so new print heads are needed I think.

I have removed the lids from ordinary Canon combined cartridges and washed the sponges, reassembled the cartridges and refilled them and got them working again. But these cartridges need not be airtight which I think the G series print heads need to be.

If it were the black cartridge that was filled with Epson ink, maybe you could wash the sponge and glue the lid back in place and get the printhead/cartridge working again, But getting the three compartments in the colour printhead/cartridge airtight again is next to impossible I think.

I don't know the cost and availability of new printhead/cartridges and if the Epson ink can be completely removed from the ink system. Maybe you need a new printer :(

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Thanks for the details and the explanations, it's more complex than I assumed and I was 'blinded' by the way Epson is doing it with the Ecotank printers. But before the printer gets discarded as electronic waste I would try to run an ink charge cycle which should flush quite some of the old ink away. The WicReset utility is supporting G-series models and possibly an ink charge command as they do for Epson printers. But the ink in the tanks should be replaced before doing that exercise.