Help Help Help - Refilling a Maxify from a Canon GI-56 Bottle?

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Bought some Canon OEM ink (GI 56 BK bottle) in the hope of refilling a Maxify cart. I can't work out how to either get a needle into the bottle or alternatively remove the fancy refill valve on the bottle.

Anyone refilled from the same bottles and can help?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I can't guess what fancy method uses The Hat.. ;). Mine is blunt but effective. First you need an empty bottle of 150ml or more to store the ink and a funnel is useful too.
Remove the cap, drill a hole at the top of the GI-56 bottle to make an intake for air. Screw the cap back on and drill another hole at the bottom of the bottle. After removing the cap, ink drips from the bottom at a steady but slow rate until it gets empty. It takes maybe two or three minutes, depending on the size of the hole.
Now the ink is stored in an ordinary bottle and you can refill as usual.

Last edited:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Thats a good safe way to empty it.. Now I have another idea. Might try drilling a hole close to what appears to be a ball valve in the top. Then I can reseal the bottle rather than decant into another one.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I don't know how different GI56 vs. GI53 bottle tops are - I just do it this way with a blunt needle - no drilling - no other complications

GI53.jpg

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
@Ink stained Fingers I tried that with the same tip but I could not get a good seal, maybe I need to spend a bit more time and see if it will seal properly.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I tried with a syringe and it wasn't very convenient. First you need a very long needle to reach the bottom of the bottle when ink reaches a low level. Then you need to drill an extra hole to let air equalize the pressures, else the ink won't be sucked into the syringe, unless you pull very very hard the plunge, with the added risk of splashing ink everywhere.
In the end, I think that moving the whole content into an ordinary bottle is the best way, but that's me.

Last edited:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I don't seal anything, and if the needle is too short you can just lay down the bottle, I don't drill a hole anywhere,
but there are various different ways to get the ink out.

View attachment 14998
Ah, I thought you were using a plastic quick fill tip, but I see it is a needle now.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I tried with a syringe and it wasn't very convenient. First you need a very long needle to reach the bottom of the bottle when ink reaches a low level. Now the ink is stored in an ordinary bottle and you can refill as usual.
Ten mark for effort, but no cigar this time… :lol::hugs

@Ink stained Fingers has got it right… :thumbsup