Help chose between the Canon pixma G2420 and the Hp smart tank 500 and the Epson ecotank L3210

user062

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma ts5050
Hello,
I will buy a new printer next week, for home use, i mostly print documents, and sometimes photos on photo paper (up to 250gsm). I will be printing with a frequency of at least 3 pages/week up to 100 pages/week, i will also be using the scanner and the copier (that's why and i opted for a multi-function), my main OS is windows 10, i don't need wireless functionality.

Due to where i live, and to budget constraints i have very limited options, the most prominent being the Canon pixma G2420 and the Hp smart tank 500 and the Epson ecotank L3210.

The Hp is cheaper here, but not by much. The main reason these printers are my prime choice is because of third party ink prices (they are similar for both printers, and reasonably priced).

Which one do you think is the best for me?

Thank you very much.

PS: sorry if this isn't the appropriate forum, i couldn't find a forum for purchase advice.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There are various aspects to consider for your printer selection, you are addressing photo printing - what are your requirements in this respect:

- you need to check if the printers of your selection support borderless printing only for the 10x15cm format or as well for larger formats up to A4

- please be aware that the inks in the Canon and Epson models don't give you any good fading resistance, the inks of these printers are not suitable for prints which should last a longer time, the HP inks perform much better in this respect. I need to discourage you strongly to use 3rd party inks - for assumed cost savings reasons - these inks can perform even worse in this respect - you get what you pay for.

- and there is another aspect with photo printing with these printers - these printers don't use a dye black ink when printing on photo paper - this can leave a color cast in the darker image reasons - the Canon and the HP printers use a pigment black for print on matte/copy papers for better edge definition

- there are some ink alternatives to overcome this restriction - OEM inks with much better longevity and a dye black are available, they are used with other printers but you can use them as well on the Canon/Epson printers you are listing, but there is no HP dye black available.

- A completely different approach would be to look for the Canon G550/650 photo printers - which directly use the high performing Chromalife 100 inks, that's printer models tuned for photo printing - and again - no 3rd party cheap and bad substitutes if you want good and longlasting prints.

user062

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma ts5050
There are various aspects to consider for your printer selection, you are addressing photo printing - what are your requirements in this respect:

- you need to check if the printers of your selection support borderless printing only for the 10x15cm format or as well for larger formats up to A4

- please be aware that the inks in the Canon and Epson models don't give you any good fading resistance, the inks of these printers are not suitable for prints which should last a longer time, the HP inks perform much better in this respect. I need to discourage you strongly to use 3rd party inks - for assumed cost savings reasons - these inks can perform even worse in this respect - you get what you pay for.

- and there is another aspect with photo printing with these printers - these printers don't use a dye black ink when printing on photo paper - this can leave a color cast in the darker image reasons - the Canon and the HP printers use a pigment black for print on matte/copy papers for better edge definition

- there are some ink alternatives to overcome this restriction - OEM inks with much better longevity and a dye black are available, they are used with other printers but you can use them as well on the Canon/Epson printers you are listing, but there is no HP dye black available.

- A completely different approach would be to look for the Canon G550/650 photo printers - which directly use the high performing Chromalife 100 inks, that's printer models tuned for photo printing - and again - no 3rd party cheap and bad substitutes if you want good and longlasting prints.
thank you for your reply, i do realize that 3rd party inks are way worse than OEM ones but photo printing is a secondary activity for me (maybe once in a few months) and i don't have much requirements for quality. The main usage in printing documents.