Hello

Steve J

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro1000, Prusa I3MK3
I recently purchased a Canon Pro-1000 printer. I used to have an Epson 3880, but it now has the dreded PK/MK switch problem, and I still don't know if I even want to fix it: I still have a 7 year-old printer that could need a new head next year.

Anyway, the Canon printer is great except that it seems to use a lot of ink, and I am looking for alternatives to Canon OEM ink.

I also do a lot of 3D printing with a Monoprice Flashforge clone, and use Alibre to create objects to print.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
On the 3880 you could opt for the permanent fix of adjusting the flow path to one of the ink channels and then snipping the wires to the switch motor. Pretty sure there's a thread about this somewhere on here about this approach for an R3000, 38000 or 3880 you can look up.

The "fix" does mean you can't do the "other" media but it does make for an economical resolution and you can always replace the cartridge bay and tube feed system later if you wanted.

Steve J

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro1000, Prusa I3MK3
I tried looking for that "fix", but couldn't find any reference to it. Perhaps you know of a source.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I tried looking for that "fix", but couldn't find any reference to it. Perhaps you know of a source.
Short version is that you wind the gear, that changes the channel between matt and photo black, so that it is set to one or the other and then you cut the wire to the motor that controls the gear. The report I read was that it didn't cause the printer to error out and would work fine. The critical bit was that you needed to remember not to change media type outside of the range that your chosen black ink handled only because it would think it had the "other" black and adjust profiles accordingly.

I'll see if I can find the post about this when I've a bit more time.