"Hello" from kestreltom / About me

kestreltom

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1 & Pro9000
Hello everyone!

I hail from Albuquerque, New Mexico where printer inks dry fast.
I have been a happy owner of a Canon Pro9000 for many years - reloading my cartridges with Precision Color inks and getting excellent output on Canson Infinity papers.

I had some experience with a much older HP 24" 4-color plotter that I used for years for design work and the occasional photo.

I have always wanted a large format pigment ink type printer, and recently acquired a used Canon Pro-1, and a Prograf IPF5000 in pursuit of that dream. Both printers have suffered from lack of use in a very dry climate, and so begins my journey refurbishing them and putting them to good use. Wish me luck!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, kestreltom. You are definitely off on an adventure with your new printers.

Ask questions now before you start using the printers, especially if nozzle checks are not 100%. The general rule of thumb is to not print anything but nozzle checks until they are proper to avoid irreparably damaging the print head.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Welcome Kestreltom. :)

It will be very instructive for us to see how your Canons fare in dry hot New Mexico. Needless to say that I wouldn’t risk leaving these large format ’ladies’ unattended for months in the attic, but I bet you know this very well.

Canon Pro1 is a very peculiar printer with a mind of her own. If you run into problems, post your questions in the forum before taking any action. There’re people here (not me ) who can advice you properly.

kestreltom

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1 & Pro9000
Welcome Kestreltom. :)

It will be very instructive for us to see how your Canons fare in dry hot New Mexico. Needless to say that I wouldn’t risk leaving these large format ’ladies’ unattended for months in the attic, but I bet you know this very well. ...

Thank you Arthur! Indeed I know the risks of under-utilization. If I can get these printers up and running, I may need to use some large plastic bags and wet sponges to keep them serviceable going forward.

Latest posts