Hello! Can someone help a NEWB!

cropcord

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok, so a while back we needed a printer. I ran to Office Depot and after looking at all of the AIO printers they had, I decided on a Lexmark. Little did I know that this would be such a terrible choice once I decided that I wanted to refill the cartridges.

I bought a refill kit, and then tried to refill the cartridges that were in it. This was a miserable Fail. So I googled and found out that you can't refill the 150XL cartridges that were in my printer. However, Lexmark sells a 150XLA that you can buy, and then when it runs out, you can refill that. So I ordered them, and when the black ran out, I refilled it, and it did not work. It still says that there is not ink in the cartridge and the printer will not print.

Can someone recommend a good AIO inkjet printer that has refillable cartridges. I would prefer that they are not chipped, but that may be impossible.

My current printer is:

LEXMARK S315

This is the ink refill kit that I bought:

Edit: It would not let me post a link. So I will just say that it is a refill that I bought on Amazon from Dinsink

Thanks,
Nathan

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I assume you are located in the USA.

I would recommend a Canon AIO, but not one of the models using only two cartridges. The 5 or 6 cartridge models use separate ink tanks that can be relative easily refilled. But the newest models using the new PGI-250/CLI-251 cartridges should also be avoided, as no resetter exists for these cartridges. That leaves printers using the previous generation PGI-220/CLI221 cartridges for which resetters are available. These printers are being phased out, so you may have to search for one, and better hurry up if you want a Canon printer.

From Canon USA website I found two of these models the MG5320 and the MG8220. These are photo AIO's. Links are here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consu...n_one_inkjet_printers/pixma_mg5320#BoxContent and here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consu...n_one_inkjet_printers/pixma_mg8220#BoxContent

There are also two office AIO's using these cartridges on the canon website, links are here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consu...office_all_in_one_inkjet_printers/pixma_mx882 and here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consu...in_one_inkjet_printers/pixma_mx892#BoxContent

There is a 24 hour waiting period before new members are allowed to upload images and post links, so tomorrow you will be able to use these features. Instructions are here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=107#p107

cropcord

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you so much! This will help so much. My wife has an older Cannon that she is replacing at work, so I am going to see what that one is all about when I get my hands on it. I will check these other two if this one will not work

cropcord

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Does anyone know if canon 211xl can be refilled?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Yes. Lots of refill info in Google and well as how to videos.

cropcord

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
jtoolman said:
Yes. Lots of refill info in Google and well as how to videos.
Well that is good. I just wanted to ask because another person posted above about not getting a printer with 2 cartridges. I didn't know why I was not supposed to. Only that they said it. This one had 2 cartridges, so I figured I would try and be sure this time

Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Two cartridge printers are a bit of a bitch to refill successfully every time and even when filled
they take very little ink, resulting in the need to refill them far more often.

Canon printers which have separate ink tanks are far more popular because they can be refilled much easier.. :)

cropcord

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Two cartridge printers are a bit of a bitch to refill successfully every time and even when filled
they take very little ink, resulting in the need to refill them far more often.

Canon printers which have separate ink tanks are far more popular because they can be refilled much easier.. :)
Gotcha! Thanks for that. I think I will try this Canon since it is free. At least then I can get rid of the lexmark piece of .......................

csu2ipf

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am not sure this is the proper place to post this question; please straighten me out if it is not.

I bought a Canon MG5320 AIO some months ago; I do not have a problem yet. But I notice mentioning of "chip" on the cartridges here and on ink ad's. My questions are:
What do the chips do?
What is resetting the chips involved?
Can the carts with chip be refilled by user?
Are there cart's without chips? would they work in MG5320?

Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
csu2ipf

You have 226/526 opaque cartridges in your printer which have chips fitted just under the locking lever
on the front of the cartridge and they only work for that type of cartridge.

The chip assists your printer to show your on screen ink levels for each colour cartridge and when your ink gets low
on of these cartridges a yellow triangle will appear to tell you that youre nearly out of ink
and youre going to need a replacement cartridge if you wish to continue to print.

If you intend to refill your cartridges then youll need the help of a RESETTER to reset the chip on your cartridge
back to (Showing Full) again after you have refilled it, just like a new cartridge. :)

There are other similar cartridges available (221/521) which can be used in your printer
which are easier to refill than your current ones
but youll need to swap the chips from your 226/526 cartridges to make them work in your printer model.

Your printer will not work without a chip fitted to each cartridge, so no is the answer ok.

You can familiarise yourself if you wish on the ins and outs of refilling by reading up on the many past posts on this forum
and then if there are any more questions youd like answered just come back and well try to answer them for you..