Printer Model
MB5150

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I had my 3D printer in my computer den for a while, but my son complained of funny smell coming from it, so I checked it out and in deed there were noticeable smells emitting from it, so I moved it into my large garage out of the way...

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
This is why I've only printed PLA in my study. The garage is the only place I planned to print ABS, but it's a bit of a walk, and I can't see what's happening from my study. However, today I've installed a raspberry pi based server so I can control my printer from a browser with Octoprint, and even better I can add a webcam to the printer. So if I was printing ABS in the garage I could see what it was doing from my browser. At least that's the theory.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The garage is the only place I planned to print ABS, but it's a bit of a walk,
Funny you should mention ABS filament, I needed to make a small tray, nothing to elaborate, so I loaded up ABS in my CR-10 yestarday and within 10 minutes it slowly showed clogs starting. (Reduced flow)

It eventually blocked up completely and I’ve spent the day cleaning and clearing all the gunk out of the hot-end, it’s now back in business running on PLA.

I’ve decided not to use ABS in the CR-10 and keep it for the MP mini, I am however going to try PETG filament and see what that’s like, and I am getting the best quality from PLA and am happy using it, but I still like to try some of the other filaments...

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
I’ve decided not to use ABS in the CR-10 and keep it for the MP mini, I am however going to try PETG filament and see what that’s like, and I am getting the best quality from PLA and am happy using it, but I still like to try some of the other filaments...
Am I correct you've printed ABS filament quite a lot? Have you printed anything that really needed ABS rather than PLA?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Am I correct you've printed ABS filament quite a lot?
No, I was using ABS when I started first, and the results were hit and miss, sometimes it balls up and other times it was perfect, but since changing to PLA, its 95% positive, I wouldn’t know where or when to use ABS or PLA. :idunno

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I've still not tried printing in ABS yet... it scares me.

... but i do LOVE the smell of sweet sweet PLA! :D

berttheghost

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 9500, pro-1
We need some good guidelines for adequate ventilation in spaces where 3D printers are in use. I consider moving the printer to a poorly ventilated garage or shed a non-solution.

Are there add-on enclosures for open frame 3D printers? Maybe one with an exhaust port to outdoors?

I'm under the impression that PLA is the go-to filament only because it is easy to print with. It is neither impact resistant nor heat resistant. Thus the need for ABS or other polymers. And a corresponding need for 3D printers that can handle the higher temperatures.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I think the main problem with enclosures and exhaust fans is that draughts mess up prints and exhausting the air would create an inflow of air possobly causing a draught. ABS also needs a higher temperature than PLA so keeping it at the correct temperature with exhaust fans could be difficult.

berttheghost

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 9500, pro-1
The task of an enclosure and its associated exhaust fan is not necessarily to provide ventilation to its surroundings, but rather to control process air to the printer. The enclosure may regulate the flow and temperature of process air. The exhaust blower may provide a slight vacuum to the enclosure so that contaminated process air doesn't leak into occupied space. All very doable.