Have this same MG6120 model, and just got this 6c10 error. ?

nuraman00

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6120
I have this same MG6120 model, and just got this 6c10 error.

Some of the guides on the internet say to reset while hitting a "resume" button, but I don't think this model has a resume button.

I don't want to disassemble the printer.

I'll call Canon and see if they can help. It's disappointing that they're not open on weekends.

If I have to get a new model, then what model is similar to this? I like how it has two blacks, pigment black and dye black.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The 6C10 error is a "Valve cam sensor error" related to the purge unit. It could be caused by some material blocking the movement of the parts or by a dirty or defective sensor. This sensor might be optical or a micro switch.

Getting access to the purge unit and the sensor is no easy task, as the purge unit is buried deep inside the printer.

The Stop/resume button or sensor field is marked with a red triangle inside a red circle like an old stop sign. But you cannot reset a mechanical or electronic error by using this button or sensor field.

I think the repair cost at the Canon service centre would exceed the cost of a new printer. I cannot tell what new printer to recommend but the new home use printers use the very expensive PGI-280/CLI-281 cartridges. No resetter exists for these cartridges and even third party cartridges are horribly expensive.

It might be worth trying to repair the MG6120, but I admit taking these all-in-ones apart is not for beginners. You find a service manual here, if you want to give the repair a try. Neither AVG Internet Security nor Malwarebytes Antimalware found anything wrong in the download.

nuraman00

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6120
The 6C10 error is a "Valve cam sensor error" related to the purge unit. It could be caused by some material blocking the movement of the parts or by a dirty or defective sensor. This sensor might be optical or a micro switch.

Getting access to the purge unit and the sensor is no easy task, as the purge unit is buried deep inside the printer.

The Stop/resume button or sensor field is marked with a red triangle inside a red circle like an old stop sign. But you cannot reset a mechanical or electronic error by using this button or sensor field.

I think the repair cost at the Canon service centre would exceed the cost of a new printer. I cannot tell what new printer to recommend but the new home use printers use the very expensive PGI-280/CLI-281 cartridges. No resetter exists for these cartridges and even third party cartridges are horribly expensive.

It might be worth trying to repair the MG6120, but I admit taking these all-in-ones apart is not for beginners. You find a service manual here, if you want to give the repair a try. Neither AVG Internet Security nor Malwarebytes Antimalware found anything wrong in the download.

Are you sure this button is on the MG6120?

I saw it on other models (like the TS series). But not sure about this model.

Here's a picture:

MBP_MG6130_Printer_Review_20110804_2480.jpg

You are right, the 3rd party PGI-280/CLI-281 are expensive.

What other printers use the PGI-225 CLI-226, like the MG6120?

Or is there a non Canon printer brand that has separate color ink tanks, for the different colors, like the Canon? 5 or 6 different color tanks.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The MG6120 has got sensor fields instead of mechanical push buttons. Only the relevant buttons/fields are lit, the others are not lit and so almost invisible. See this clip from the online user manual, click to enlarge:

MG6120 Panel.jpg

The Stop/Resume field is located maybe an inch to the right of the colour copy sensor field. It might be seen when letting light fall on it at a shallow angle. Here is a photo from an MG7150 that also has got sensor fields, click to enlarge.

MG7150 Stop-Resume.jpg

The service manual also mentions a Stop button instead of a stop sensor field. See page 45/66 about entering service mode.

Edit: If you want an all-in-one, I know these models using the PGI-225/CLI-226 cartridges: MG5120, MG5220, MG5320, MG6120 and MG8120. The MG8120 is top of the line and has got a CCD scanner instead of the CIS scanners of the other models.

HP also makes some models that are very similar to Canon's single ink tank models.

Last edited:

nuraman00

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6120
The MG6120 has got sensor fields instead of mechanical push buttons. Only the relevant buttons/fields are lit, the others are not lit and so almost invisible. See this clip from the online user manual, click to enlarge:

View attachment 11405

The Stop/Resume field is located maybe an inch to the right of the colour copy sensor field. It might be seen when letting light fall on it at a shallow angle. Here is a photo from an MG7150 that also has got sensor fields, click to enlarge.

View attachment 11406

The service manual also mentions a Stop button instead of a stop sensor field. See page 45/66 about entering service mode.

Edit: If you want an all-in-one, I know these models using the PGI-225/CLI-226 cartridges: MG5120, MG5220, MG5320, MG6120 and MG8120. The MG8120 is top of the line and has got a CCD scanner instead of the CIS scanners of the other models.

HP also makes some models that are very similar to Canon's single ink tank models.

Thanks. I can't find those MG models in new condition anywhere. Can you?

Also, I tried calling Canon. They said this model is supported online only.

I then tried to create an online case. But it says agent support isn't available for this model, only knowledge base FAQ resources.

nuraman00

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6120

MG6120 Panel.jpg

MG7150 Stop-Resume.jpg

Can you please explain the instructions for how to enter service mode?

I was reading your post:

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-mg5250-ink-absorber-nearly-full.13403/#post-116152

I can't seem to do it with this printer, with its sensor buttons.

Also, I never could get the power LED to turn green. It would only be blue, if anything.

Can you make a video on how to enter service mode? I've been trying for more than 1.5 hours, and I never could do it.

Also, as of a few minutes ago, now it looks like the printer won't even turn on.

nuraman00

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6120
Ok, the printer turns on again.

I think I am in service mode now, since the service tool recognizes it.

nuraman00

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6120
I think I reset it, and I printed the EEPROM value.

I still think a video on how to enter service mode would help. I noticed for my model, when it's in service mode, the LCD stays blank.

And then as mentioned above, my LED light is blue, not green.

Maybe @PeterBJ can make one, since he's more of an expert on these printers?

If not, maybe I'll make one in a few days.

So it looks like the service tool recognizes the printer, even if I just turn it on normally? What would have happened if I used the service tool then, to reset the counter?

nuraman00

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6120
I am still getting the 6c10 error code! It was fine when printing the EEPROM page.

But when I want to actually print something, it's not printing.