Have this same MG6120 model, and just got this 6c10 error. ?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I will avoid tank printers, given that you said there could be problems with the print head.
You may be overthinking this.

With OEM ink, Canon printers seem to be more rugged in performance. They do like to be used , everyday even, to maintain proper function, but can go several weeks in between prints unless environmental conditions are outside recommendations. My 96 year old uncle might go a month or so without printing with his Canon MP6xx and had no issues with OEM inks. Years later the printer failed and now he is enjoying a Maxify. YMMV

The points I made tend to be within forum consensus on best practices. The consensus is not to wait weeks in between printing. If you print something that uses all the colors, even a nozzle check (which uses the smallest amount of ink), every week or two you are more likely to avoid ink clogging whether OEM or aftermarket inks. That's it. Simple. Mark your calendar, have your cell phone remind you, have your computer remind you. You can do it if you want unless you are away from home for longer periods.

In the end, there are no guarantees. You do what you do and the printer does what it does, sometimes unexpectedly and sometimes regardless of whatever you have done or not done.

How long did your previous printer last? Based on your described issue, it wasn't clogging that shut down your printer. So, take a moment to reflect and then find the printer you think best suits your needs. Keep in mind the suggestions made and follow through as best you can.

Then enjoy printing again.

nuraman00

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6120
You may be overthinking this.

With OEM ink, Canon printers seem to be more rugged in performance. They do like to be used , everyday even, to maintain proper function, but can go several weeks in between prints unless environmental conditions are outside recommendations. My 96 year old uncle might go a month or so without printing with his Canon MP6xx and had no issues with OEM inks. Years later the printer failed and now he is enjoying a Maxify. YMMV

The points I made tend to be within forum consensus on best practices. The consensus is not to wait weeks in between printing. If you print something that uses all the colors, even a nozzle check (which uses the smallest amount of ink), every week or two you are more likely to avoid ink clogging whether OEM or aftermarket inks. That's it. Simple. Mark your calendar, have your cell phone remind you, have your computer remind you. You can do it if you want unless you are away from home for longer periods.

In the end, there are no guarantees. You do what you do and the printer does what it does, sometimes unexpectedly and sometimes regardless of whatever you have done or not done.

How long did your previous printer last? Based on your described issue, it wasn't clogging that shut down your printer. So, take a moment to reflect and then find the printer you think best suits your needs. Keep in mind the suggestions made and follow through as best you can.

Then enjoy printing again.

Thanks. I got the Canon MG6120 in November 2011, so lasted from then, until last Saturday. I had printed something the night before and it was fine.

nuraman00

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6120
After more research, I think it's down to these options for me, in no order:

* Epson EcoTank 2760 from Costco, partly just to try something different and see how it is, as long as I keep best printing practices. Hopefully I can then make ink last more than 1 year.

* HP Envy 7858

* Repair my MG6120

I couldn't find any new Canon that met my criteria.

Out of the new ones that are IN STOCK, the TS and TR series use the PGI-280/CLI-281 ink, which is too expensive, even from 3rd parties.

The MX series has bad reviews.

The MG series has cheaper 3rd party ink, but I couldn't find any in stock, except for a MG3620, which uses expensive PG-240/CLI-241.

Brother Printers: Couldn't find one that I liked in stock.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I got the Canon MG6120 in November 2011
Fantastic. Your printer gave you all she had for many years. Either repair it yourself of get a new printer. A repair shop will charge much money and some other issue with the printer is bound to happen making your repair charge even more expensive.

Since you said in your first post you did not want to dissemble the printer, give praise to your old printer and then pick a new printer that seems to suit your needs and get it.

Good luck.