Has anyone used Precisions chipless kit for the SC-P800?

MooreDesignLabs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
1430|3800|3880|P800|PRO-100
I'm about to be using a P800 and would like to get the most out of my prints by using precision colors chipless kit. Has anyone used it here? If so, how did you like it? And how easy was working with the firmware? It looks too easy to be true in my opinion. Thanks in advance.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I am using refillable cartridges with auto reset chip: unlike the older Pro 3880 no original cartridge chips needed for the chip sensor. They reset automatically when removed from the printer and show accurately ink level...but I live in Europe, so the printers accept refillable cartridges (thanks to EU legislation forcing printer manufacturers to allow aftermarket carts and refillables to stop plastic/E-waste). I bought mine at aliexpress.com for slightly more than € 42 shipping included.

Stormlight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, 3800/80, R2400, 7880
I do not have experience with SC-P800 but I bought mine chipless firmware for my workforce through chiplessolutions and it works well though it no longer tracks ink level and remains full at all time. Unsure on how it will behave on P800. On P800, chipless is the cheap way to go! Save those OEM or initial carts for refilling! Don't use aftermarket!

@pharmacist
He is in the US so not just fortunate like the EU. Also why are you using refillable with P800! I expect a bit more from you! :) You need to watch Jose's refill for 3880 OEM and use OEM cart to refill. The OEM cart are closed loop pressurized design. Refillable are opened loop pressurized design. With close loop, you do not have to worry about ink drying out in cartridge... unless you go through massive amount of ink.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I do not have experience with SC-P800 but I bought mine chipless firmware for my workforce through chiplessolutions and it works well though it no longer tracks ink level and remains full at all time. Unsure on how it will behave on P800. On P800, chipless is the cheap way to go! Save those OEM or initial carts for refilling! Don't use aftermarket!

@pharmacist
He is in the US so not just fortunate like the EU. Also why are you using refillable with P800! I expect a bit more from you! :) You need to watch Jose's refill for 3880 OEM and use OEM cart to refill. The OEM cart are closed loop pressurized design. Refillable are opened loop pressurized design. With close loop, you do not have to worry about ink drying out in cartridge... unless you go through massive amount of ink.
Actually: i am using years open loop cartridges in my Epson Pro 3880/P-800 machines: not more clogs than using original cartridges at al (closed loop). Besides: where normal Epson cartridges sitting on print head are open loop cartridges too, because they need breathing. Ohh yes: José even promoted a video how to refill and prime those open loop cartridges....whow: not very consistent at all. Besides: I have done that too and I have not less or more clogs compared to open loop refillables. This design exists already for many years and proven to be reliable. But maybe you benefit from selling those chip less keys...that would explain a lot

Last edited:

MooreDesignLabs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't envious of your right to repair laws in EU. Especially in this case! I saw that Precision Colors recommended the chipless solutions with their cartridges. I would much rather be using genuine cartridges than aftermarket.

Is there a guide to modifying genuine p800 cartridges? Do they have to be the initial setup cartridges?

Last edited:

Stormlight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, 3800/80, R2400, 7880
@pharmacist
I am glad it is working out for you! I guess I am guilty of the sin of hoarding more than printing lol! Btw, perhap on a seperate thread, I am very interested on your thoughts/experiences on the WF-7840 with precisoncore printhead considering you have two unit. Though refillable carts or Wf-7840 are prime free unlike older style. Atm, i am actively seeking to buy older WF printer with micropiezo instead of precisioncore!

@MooreDesignLabs
Here is the link for the modification.
Use a 20 gauge needle to pop out the oneway valve. Use a thumb nail to remove the tabs. No need to prime. Just need to suck all air out after fill up cart. Track filling capacity by weight. Jose made a few videos on this. Search his channel for more details. Regardless the setup with refill, on P800 you need to get the chipless firmware (or add-on board that is 10 times the cost of chipless firmware and only last 30 refills per color)!

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I am using refillable cartridges with auto reset chip: unlike the older Pro 3880 no original cartridge chips needed for the chip sensor. They reset automatically when removed from the printer and show accurately ink level...but I live in Europe, so the printers accept refillable cartridges (thanks to EU legislation forcing printer manufacturers to allow aftermarket carts and refillables to stop plastic/E-waste). I bought mine at aliexpress.com for slightly more than € 42 shipping included.
Lucky, as some of them don't care about the environment. HP are still crippling laser printers so they won't take 3rd party toner carts. One OTA update knocked out many printers recently. I think it will take a Class action to stop them doing it.

MooreDesignLabs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
@MooreDesignLabs
Here is the link for the modification.
Use a 20 gauge needle to pop out the oneway valve. Use a thumb nail to remove the tabs. No need to prime. Just need to suck all air out after fill up cart. Track filling capacity by weight. Jose made a few videos on this. Search his channel for more details. Regardless the setup with refill, on P800 you need to get the chipless firmware (or add-on board that is 10 times the cost of chipless firmware and only last 30 refills per color)!
Thank god these cartridges are larger than my other Epsons. Doing that procedure almost 10x in a row could get tedious. But it's well worth it for the reduced cost and print quality. Plus it looks like I already have my set of ink cartridges ready for modding at home. Money saved there as well. Thank you so much. I've been trying to get on JToolmans FB Group since I got on here. Hopefully he'll approve my request one day.

KeithR

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P800 & P900
I'm about to be using a P800 and would like to get the most out of my prints by using precision colors chipless kit. Has anyone used it here? If so, how did you like it? And how easy was working with the firmware? It looks too easy to be true in my opinion. Thanks in advance.
I installed the chipless solution software on my P800 running Piezography in 2020 and haven't had any issues.