Has anyone had better luck with non-Canon ink for a PRO-100?

MooreDesignLabs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO100,200|1430,P600,P800|HP

I've accumulated a few PRO-100 printers over the last month and wanted to sell one with a brand new ink set included. I purchased a set of unbranded ink carts and while the cartridges were read completely fine by the printer, the ink inside clogs up the printhead on the first picture printed. This was a 13x19" black and white print that by the end of it, faded and clogged. Leaving the next attempt even worse. I was able to salvage a very old and used genuine Canon black ink cartridge hoping to verify it is in fact the new unbranded ink cartridges. After a thorough flush of BK,GY, LGY, the Canon ink even as old as it was, completely outperformed a brand new unbranded cart. Has anyone had decent luck using non Canon brand ink?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There are 3rd party inks that work without clogging, and use OEM carts as a delivery method, so I wouldn’t recommend the use of any compatible carts in your Pro 100, if you were suffering clogs then I suspect it was the carts and not the ink that was causing the issue.

No 3rd party ink can compare to OEM ink for longevity and fading is something you have to expect if you use 3rd party ink, buy cheap ink, print twice or three times, because there’s no such thing as a free lunch..

Here is an going post that is dealing with fading in non OEM black ink..
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-black-ink-fade-test.15442/post-134623

MooreDesignLabs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thank you for the very informative reply. I hope it is the third party carts that were the issue and not the ink. The 13x19 would print about 70% of the way before giving out and fading. I'd rather just get rid of these unbranded ones once the genuine carts come in.
And now that you mention using OEM carts for the delivery method, I actually had those on my very first PRO-100 that I sourced. They were Canon carts with a little orange part where you can refill the cartridge. I didn't even think of the cart as a major factor until now. I wish I kept them.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
No 3rd party ink can compare to OEM ink for longevity and fading is something you have to expect if you use 3rd party ink, buy cheap ink,
If longevity is your concern you need to stick to the genuine Canon Chromalife 100(+) inks, they perform by far better and are more stable than any 3rd party ink. But you still have an option - the megatank printer G620 uses as well Chromalife 100 inks - bottled, at a lower price than Pro-100 cartridges - you can use these inks - not all colors are available like the LLK - for refill. These GI23 inks (in the U.S. - numbers may vary in other business regions) perform very well, do not use other inks for Megatank printers like the G2000 - G3000 etc model ranges - those inks are no better than 3rd party inks.

MooreDesignLabs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I actually just ordered a 4-pack of the Chromalife 100 cartridges yesterday! I'm only printing black and white for now so having 2 BK, GY, and LGY was perfect for me. I'm looking forward to seeing the results!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'm only printing black and white for now so having 2 BK, GY, and LGY was perfect for me. I'm looking forward to seeing the results!
You should have bought the complete set, because B&W is not achieved with just the black and grey inks, to produce good B&W the Pro 100 uses all the colours together..

AlisonNorth80

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i560
Such photos can be processed in the application and remove noise from them. It turns out pretty good

Garry611

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1000

I've accumulated a few PRO-100 printers over the last month and wanted to sell one with a brand new ink set included. I purchased a set of unbranded ink carts and while the cartridges were read completely fine by the printer, the ink inside clogs up the printhead on the first picture printed. This was a 13x19" black and white print that by the end of it, faded and clogged. Leaving the next attempt even worse. I was able to salvage a very old and used genuine Canon black ink cartridge hoping to verify it is in fact the new unbranded ink cartridges. After a thorough flush of BK,GY, LGY, the Canon ink even as old as it was, completely outperformed a brand new unbranded cart. Has anyone had decent luck using non Canon brand ink?
I've been using PrecisionColors ink and they match the original OEM ink with almost no difference. I've had prints in direct sun light for many months and the blacks fade very little over time. If not in direct sun light then the fading would be probably years. You could buy black and grey OEM but all other colors from PrecisionColors as the colors did not seem to fade at all compared to control print kept in a folder.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I've been using PrecisionColors ink and they match the original OEM ink with almost no difference. I've had prints in direct sun light for many months and the blacks fade very little over time.
I tested the EV6 ink set long time ago - 6 colors dye for Epson printers, the fading performance was not convincing at that time but precisioncolors changed over to a new recipe with the signature ink versions - for the CLI-42 Canon cartridges as reported above.
PC is claiming to use the best dyes available on the market but without provindig any further details or test/performance data
'We also during this time took our time to test and obtain the most durable aftermarket dyes available. Some inks are substantially more costly to acquire and produce but we elected to specify it because we wanted to simply produce the BEST AFTERMARKET INK for the Pro-100 at pretty much any cost. That simply means you are getting the BEST there is in the world short of the real Canon Ink.'
(copied from here https://precisioncolors.com/PC42.html )

precisioncolors is not shipping internationally anymore since quite some time - I'm not able to order such inks for a comparative test at this time. This would be a fading test only against some other ink , not a test of the gamut, no color matching vs. the genuine Chromalife 100+ inks.