has anyone ever gotten this error message ?

katz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson r1800
r1800
service required
the parts inside your printer are at the end of their service life. see your printer documentation.

WTH ???? I just added 8 new inks, so all full. And I ordered 16 more a couple maths ago, can't be sent back now. I'm going crazy. I really can't believe it.
Thanks in advance Katz

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
that's most likely a full waste ink container causing that message. You may check the status of the waste ink container with the WICReset utility you easily can find in the internet. You can read the status with it, you only can do a reset with it against a 10$ payment. And you need to replace that part shortly, and/or feed the waste ink to the outside of the printer into an external reservoir which can be handled easier.

Ionlab

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF3540
Actually the first reset to 90% using the code trial is for free, if i am not mistaken.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
As noted the error message is not terminal... It's the printer equivalent of "my nappy is full".

The R1800, may work with the SSC utility but you will need Windows 7 or earlier to make it work.

This article deals with it properly
http://www.octoink.co.uk/kb/questions/162/

If you have anything like Windows 8 or MacOS then the WICReset (iWIC for MacOS) will help reset but does require a reset key. Oh and as a customer of mine recently found, for the love of Pete, Samantha and the little children, make sure you fit some kind of external waste ink tank to collect the ink from this point on. Ink puddles on desk or over new carpet are not a good look.

Best of luck...

katz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson r1800
Im a Mac user. I sent it to a company in Portland Or. to change out the sponges and empty the ink waste tank and reset it. $200. I know its a lot but I have so much ink for it. Epson said there aren't any new/current printers that use that ink so I just repaired it. I should get it back saturday.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Im a Mac user. I sent it to a company in Portland Or. to change out the sponges and empty the ink waste tank and reset it. $200. I know its a lot but I have so much ink for it. Epson said there aren't any new/current printers that use that ink so I just repaired it. I should get it back saturday.

If you had followed the good advice from @Ink stained Fingers above in post #2, you would have saved yourself $190, Ouch…

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
If you had followed the good advice from @Ink stained Fingers above in post #2, you would have saved yourself $190, Ouch…
In fairness, a service would change out the platen pad and other waste ink dumping areas too so, throw in (I hope) the other re-greasing maintenance jobs that would be included it's not a waste. Assuming they did a thorough job that R1800 may well have even more years than just a waste kit addition.

I know folk can sometimes attribute folk hero style status to waste ink kits but when you have a printer as old as the R1800 then other things can start to become an issue too so that extra expenditure for a service may well turn out to be an excellent investment in the long run.

katz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson r1800
$200. and all works well so far.
they said to use it every wk, not to let it set. I would go along time without doing any prints, I won't do that again. I had to clean heads and preform all those adjustments every time I printed, from letting it set so long