Hard to get Pro 300 Cartridges

royphotog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-300
Websnail. So I have used up the first cart on the canon pro 300, should I keep them in a plastic bag, keep as much air out as possible as I collect used carts? I kept the orange clip.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
should I keep them in a plastic bag, keep as much air out as possible as I collect used carts?
To keep and save your used carts, all you need to do is put the orange clip back onto the bottom and store to see what happens, they may become useful if a onetime chip becomes available later..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
To keep and save your used carts, all you need to do is put the orange clip back onto the bottom and store to see what happens, they may become useful if a onetime chip becomes available later..
Onetime chips probably will cost too much.
Even if you decide to refill by disabling ink monitoring you will need a second set of carts.

Maybe @mikling will find out an ink level detection system as he developed for the PRO-1000 - ink monitor disabled, no onetime chips - although I am afraid it will be far more difficult for PFI-300 carts.

Anyway, when I would be forced to a PRO-300, even without such system I would top up the carts regularly.
But in this case a PRO-1000 suddenly would become the most obvious solution...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Maybe @mikling will find out an ink level detection system as he developed for the PRO-1000 - ink monitor disabled, no onetime chips
Are you saying mikling runs the printer without ink level monitoring?

What is to develop? With other Canon printers, when the cartridge runs out of ink you can override/disable ink level monitoring in Canon's software and continue printing. No development required. :idunno

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Are you saying mikling runs the printer without ink level monitoring?

What is to develop? With other Canon printers, when the cartridge runs out of ink you can override/disable ink level monitoring in Canon's software and continue printing. No development required. :idunno
José Rodriguez told last week he made a kit with 12 ink level sensors you have to glue to the carts and leds indicating when one is empty.
For us seasoned refillers :D this seems superfluous (since the carts are large and there is no flushing penalty after reinserting) but I understand @mikling has to ensure clients it is safe to buy his inks. Service is everything.

Strange, disabling ink monitoring always has been discouraged and now it is the (only) way to go.

With $12 for a onetime chip plus shipping abroad PC ink for the PRO-1000 costs as much as OEM. Anyway, PC only supplies 8 colors, you need to buy OEM for Y,R,B and CO.

To come back to the PRO-300, at €16.50 for a 14ml cart OEM ink is very expensive here in Europe (I suppose Canon aligns to the Epson P700 pricing).
According to the Precision Colors site the ink is NOT the same as the PRO-1000, so you will need to make your own profiles when going this way (even a 80ml PFI-1000 is less than half price then and 330ml a third - but still double of what PC charges actually for the PRO-10 plus shipping).

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The price of an OEM 80 ml PFI-1000 ink cartridge is $59 for the colors and $55 for CO on Amazon today. Price is $60 per color cartridge on Canon USA.

Mikling sells 82 ml "OEM" CO, Yellow, Blue and Red for $35. He claims these are OEM inks but does not say from what cartridge model. Not sure how it would be from a $60 OEM PFI-1000 that he then sells for $35, including adding an additional 2 ml in his bottle. I doubt he is selling ink below his cost.

Do you know what "OEM" he's selling?

Do you know the PC "OEM" Yellow, Blue, Red and CO are identical to the OEM PFI-1000 inks?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Amazon is not the cheapest option for Canon big capacity cartridges, at least in Europe. I don't know if in the USA is different.
PFI-1300 or PFI-1700 carts for the Pro-2000 and above are significantly cheaper per ml. than PFI-1000 carts. For instance, 0.52 euro/ml for 80ml PFI-1000 carts and 0.36 euro/ml for 700ml PFI-1700 carts.
I gather it's from these big carts where @mikling gets his OEM ink for the Pro-1000. Even so, I don't think he makes real profits selling Canon OEM ink. unless he purchases with a huge discount.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Jose R. has sources in the States where you can buy PFI-1700 at just over $200, so @mikling covers his costs.
Martin @websnail from octoink.co.uk most probably does the same. Where else could they buy OEM ink ?
A good service since few of us ever will empty 700ml.

FYI since the chip of the PFI-1700 is still full the emptied carts have a resale value for people who refill with 3th party ink. At the end everyone gets what he needs.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
José Rodriguez told last week he made a kit with 12 ink level sensors you have to glue to the carts and leds indicating when one is empty.
For us seasoned refillers :D this seems superfluous (since the carts are large and there is no flushing penalty after reinserting) but I understand @mikling has to ensure clients it is safe to buy his inks. Service is everything.
I have just about had it with tales from Mork & Mindy, those two would say anything to keep refilling going at any cost for the Pro200/300 printers, now if you want to refill these two printers you can use whatever ink you wish, but you’ll have to bear the wroth of disabling the ink monitoring and all that brings.

Maybe in time if the availably of ARC chips or resetter becomes available well and good, but remember it’s your print head or worse the loss of the printer itself, because the dreaded B200 fatal error can pop up anytime, these new printers won’t play if you mess with them.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have just about had it with tales from Mork & Mindy, those two would say anything to keep refilling going at any cost for the Pro200/300 printers, now if you want to refill these two printers you can use whatever ink you wish, but you’ll have to bear the wroth of disabling the ink monitoring and all that brings.

Maybe in time if the availably of ARC chips or resetter becomes available well and good, but remember it’s your print head or worse the loss of the printer itself, because the dreaded B200 fatal error can pop up anytime, these new printers won’t play if you mess with them.
Indeed, that's why the PRO-1000, until now feared for its complexity, suddenly became the best candidate for refilling.