Happy Thanksgiving! Everybody! Newbie Here!

Roxanne2020

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP-830 Expression
I'm 64 and I live in Tucson, AZ and I became a grandma for the first time three months ago and have been over the moon ever since! Unfortunately, due to COVID, I dont know when I'll get to Florida. Thank goodness for Facetime! He's knows his crazy grandma already! Oh, the JOY! We're going to get into SO much trouble! I'm SO looking forward to it! :celebrate:ya

Anyway,

I'm sure a lot of this stuff is going to be over my head, but I found this website and thought I'd check it out. I've been wanting to learn more about printers, more specificially, how ink cartridges work. I have an Epson XP-830 Expression that I've had about 2 years. I must have spent triple or even quadruple what that printer cost on ink. I also have an old HP OfficeJet J4580 All-In-One. I can refill HP 901 ink cartridges on that printer indefinitely. However, on the Epson, that doesn't work and neither do ink cartridges that are not Epson. Is there a work-around? What about clear refillable cartridges that fit and come with the chips. I saw a video where someone was selling those kids, inkproducts.com but I don't know that much about it. I thought I'd find out a little more before I buy anything.

I hope everyone is happy, healthy and enjoying their turkey day in spite of COVID! :thumbsup

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, Roxanne. More importantly, congratulations on the arrival of grandson! Hopefully soon you'll be changing his diapers and hugging your bundle of joy in person. :fl:thumbsup

I am not an Epson expert so someone else will need to help you. Till then, thank you for the holiday wishes and I wish the same for you.

Roxanne2020

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP-830 Expression
Welcome to the forum, Roxanne. More importantly, congratulations on the arrival of grandson! Hopefully soon you'll be changing his diapers and hugging your bundle of joy in person. :fl:thumbsup

I am not an Epson expert so someone else will need to help you. Till then, thank you for the holiday wishes and I wish the same for you.
Thank you!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Welcome Granny...

As I'm over in the UK we're not best placed to help but a couple of things that should help.

1. Your printer has a waste ink tank in it (located from right quadrant in the base)
2. Your printer also has a waste ink counter that will eventually trigger an error message about waste ink pads needing replacing.

Sooo...

a. You can check the counter using the WICReset utility (which will also allow you to reset the counter later on.. but for now..) You can read the waste ink counter without needing any keys, etc...

b. Pads can be replaced easily enough although Epson first line support will almost certainly tell you you need to buy a new one. You can safely ignore them if/when they do.

Now, all cards on table, I do sell solutions for this but this isn't the sales pitch... Just a heads up that it's not end-of-world.

As to options on refilling, try talking to InkOwl... This is well and truly up their street and they should be able to help with kit, inks, etc..

Now, that aside, try not to spoil the grandchild too much eh? ;)