Gutenprint...The Poor Man's RIP

soberprinter

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 2400, 1400, 3520, 410
The installing of wutenprint appears to be for use with GIMP only. It also makes some registry changes that corrupt the use of Gutenprint using the method I explained to install it. It appears the registry changes take precedent over the environment settings and cause the spooler to fail (ie blow up). These references to wutenprint in the registry will have to be removed by hand editing before Gutenprint (PhotoGP/ WinGP) will function properly. I'm not going to even begin to explain editing the registry here. If you installed Wutenprint, I'm sorry, you're on your own.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
The spooler for wutenprint is very different "this is noted on the site", wutenprint installed without any problems. My goal it to understand the proper way to do ink limiting and linearization.

There are few threads about this on russian forums like these, have you read them?
http://forum.rudtp.ru/threads/tiparip-dlja-malenkix-wingp-gutenprint-argyllcms-i-proch.45954/

http://webblog.ru/Dickobraz/gutenprint/

I would like to test this gutenprint on my 6700D Canon, as I do not have any Epson for testing. The recent gutenprint version that if no problem installed on linux mint works with my canon very good. But I that's it. For the ease of it the linux way is very simple to install everything no command line is needed.

I don't know how to print ink limit charts (how to make them), set ink limit.
(how to make) Print linearization charts, then load data to gutenprint.

I would like to do all this measuring work with free Measuretool application not Argyll as I have enough command line as it is. Any help is appreciated.

soberprinter

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
I am going to only talk about using this particular compile of Gutenprint (ie WinGP/PhotoGP). Also, all my references will be from exporting from the Adobe Photoshop series of software. I will be explaining about the different methodologies in determining ink limits and how to establish linearization curves using Argyllcms. I use a Colormunki measuring device and I might be referencing it also. Use of other software and devices I cannot cover for I have not used them nor plan to. You should be able to acquire sufficient information from this to establish your own techniques needed for other devices and software, but I will not be covering them in my ramblings. Please do not ask any more questions relating to using other softwares for they are not related to this thread.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK understood awaiting your instructions, but colorport is also free and easy to use measuring application. I think there is no need to use command line tools when there are alternatives. If Gutenprint and Argyll can't read industry standard CGATS files then your choice is understood.

Thanks for this thread, I'm hoping to learn quite a few things from it.

soberprinter

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Here's the first installment of ink limiting.

soberprinter

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
attachment didn't make it, try again

Attachments

• WinGP-Ink Limiting-MAX CHROMA.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,046

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hello, I have very strange results on my Canon 6700D.
Every gutenrpint setting was like the guide said.

The print quality is way lower than expected, in fact the few clogged nozzles on black channel make stripes visible and I tried to improve the print quality via gutenprint to no avail.

Here is my scans for:

nozzle check,
print from linux mint with latest gutenprint (control sample)
print from wutenprint
print from turboprint-printfab (supposedly gutenprint inside it also)

Original file looks like the turboprint scan, only colors are very saturated, like they should be for original.

As you can see for some reason gutenprint does not print densities correct, but it's consistent over the different versions. What would you do to resolve this, I mean increase print quality and make gutenprint print correct densities.

original scans
http://rghost.net/private/59693987/a830c118728932d931ce6b5f788471ff

Attachments

• 6700D nozzle check.jpg
    6700D nozzle check.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 655
  • 6700D gutenprint linux mint.jpg
    6700D gutenprint linux mint.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 648
  • 6700D gutenprint stripes.jpg
    6700D gutenprint stripes.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 709
  • 6700D turboprint-printfab.jpg
    6700D turboprint-printfab.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 704
Last edited:

soberprinter

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
I really believe you need to start a new thread Mr. Smile, or ask these type of particular questions on a Linux forum dedicated to Gutenprint. First we are talking about printing in Windows not Linux, Photoshop not whatever image software you are using and we are using WinGP not the wutenprint and gutenprint combo. There are some major differences here.

You have been trying to hijack this thread from the beginning, and I am growing dull from your attitude. I do not know your real motives here and I have seen similar shenanigans from you in other threads with similar frustration expressed by the original posters. I wanted to share the basics of using an alternative printing method that allows one to take control of the printer. Sure they may be some pitfalls along the way but that's how we learn and grow. When one gets unexpected results from experimenting, you need to to go back and review the process, not just say you did everything you were told to do, and I followed your instructions to the letter and then throw up your hands and say it wasn't what I did.

This started out as a fun project, sharing what I knew about the topic. You have, in a very short time, corrupted that. You appear to be a forum "bully". You win Mr. Smile. I'm outta here.

Good bye Printer Knowledge

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Wow!

@soberprinter , I would rather you don't leave the thread. Or the forum...! If you read every thread here you will notice that people may talk about other things and ignore the subject of the thread for a few posts (or a few pages :) ), but they eventually return to it. This may not seem helpful to the thread, but it is what brings us closer. We are not machines, we are people; and we all have different ways to study or understand a subject. Diversity is what makes us grow.

About @Smile ... I don't think his intentions are bad. He may have a different way of understanding things than you, but his thought process is valuable to you/us just because of that.

About Gutenprint: I currently run two ink printers, both Epson (L800 and 1400). And I use Windows as OS. This Gutenprint software seems interesting and I would like to learn more about it. I would really like learning from your experience rather than reinventing the wheel, so... Please reconsider leaving!

Latest posts